ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Rebuilding a Eeger Beever Model 290 Chipper

Discussion in 'Arborist 101' started by HoneyBadger, Apr 16, 2014.

1. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger New Member

New member to the forum although I have been using it as a reference for a couple years. Looking to buy instead of rent a HD Chipper to maintain a few acres of forest land the wife and I plan on retiring on.

Short story I found an old model 290 chipper made by Beever, Inc. (pre-Morbark? no clue of year built) with a trashed JD diesel engine I am considering rebuilding if I can get for a good price. Condition is fair but since the engine won't turn I have no way to check operations although the owner said it worked fine for him for a few hours before the engine seized. I am figuring $4000 for the engine, $1000 for the hydraulics and $1000 bearings, paint and misc. parts.

Is this model worth the investment? Parts still available? My thought is I would have a basically zero-hour machine for what I could buy a 2000+ used one. My biggest problem is I have more ideas for projects than time to get them finished. Your thoughts appreciated!

2. Eq Broker

Eq Broker GlobalEquip

I really don't think it would be worth the investment. You should be able to buy one that's running for around $6k. The parts are still available from Morbark. If the crankshaft is broken, you'll be looking at a lot more money than $4,000 for an engine rebuild. What happens if there is a crack in the block or head? You'll then need to locate another engine or buy a reman or new. I wouldn't want to go through all of the headaches.

This is only my opinion.

Dave
    Global Equipment Exporters

3. 2treeornot2tree

2treeornot2tree Dont cry, just do it

The price would have to be way way cheap for me to bite. Here is my 1985 morbark 200 chipper. John deere diesel. I have made alot of improvements to my machine like, larger infeed table, crank discharge chute, hydraulic down pressure cylinder, added 2 more down pressure springs, and a fresh coat of paint.

I have a guy that wants to buy it for $7500 right now. uploadfromtaptalk1399022897725.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1399022932990.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mikeboyer likes this.
  4. Billy Harris

Billy Harris New Member

Man i have the same chipper and its awesome. I have the herc engine and have had 4 years of good work out of it and 11000 hrs. But this year plenty of trouble with the electrical and governor that i am fed up with it. I am looking for a new engine. What size is your deer? I am going to want some power so i can walk away from the feed table and not worry.

I could use some advice.

Billy