Rebuilding stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna wait for ideas..right now im thinking about using anaerobic sealer inside spacer bushing...On new replacement 440 crank it looks like the crank is thickened....but that is for 12mm wrist pin..mine is 10mm
Pic of your crank? It may have wear. OEM bushing, right?

Small leaks at seals can be tuned out (debate on this), but aren’t ideal. I didn’t pressure test the 044/440s I’ve rebuilt... no running issues, though.
Lakeside had a post about this years ago.

They leak there, but it’s not enough to matter. A 1mm drop over a minute is nothing. If you ever have a saw with a noticeable air leak because the idle is all over the place you’ll know what a real leak is like. You can’t even build vacuum.

The bog could be your tuning. I said C3A earlier, that’s actually the 036 carb. That C3M is a good runner. It’s got fully independent L/H circuits, unlike the Walbro HD series.

Rebuild the carb, set it at 1/1 and see where you are. A bog off idle can be too lean to supply fuel or too fat with puddling that gets pulled in. Usually too fat revs great and bogs after sitting. To lean does it all along.

Carb kit did the trick..works like a champ..runs great. One question the bottom carb adjustment. What is it? Is it to set the fuel flow to richer or leaner? That is what it seemed to do when i adjusted it

There are 3 screws.

LA is the bigger single screw. That sets the butterfly opening to let air in and control actual idle speed.

The L is the idle mix and the H is the WFO tune.

You lower the idle speed by turning the screw counterclockwise. Just needs to be turned down to point where chain isn’t moving, or just slightly does.

If the saw is stalling/sounds too low, you need a tach to check rpm. If it’s under spec and the chain is still turning, you need new clutch springs or something is rubbing.

Do you know how to tune by ear? That’s your best bet.

12600 sounds awfully low to me, but the saw has to tell you where it wants to be.

I know you’re breaking it in, so fat is safer. I’d figure 12600 is blubbering though.

Latest posts

Back