Rebuilt Husky 350 Running Goofy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have concluded that this chain saw was packed with defective parts before it was shipped. On the outside it was cosmetically in great shape. The owner could not fix it, regardless of what he did. So he stuffed it with worthless parts that he had in his shop, listed it for sale as a non-running "project" saw, and sold it. Like a nut, I bought it. My mistake, but if I get it to run, I will notify everyone here what my final cost for this $400 saw is.

If I cannot get it to run, I will save it for parts because most of the parts it will have on board are all new. Give me a few days to get to the solution, and thanks for your attention.

I used to have a 350 that ran great, but in my case it was "Goofy running the 350".....LOL
Did you ever find a better saw to replace it? The 350 and 353 are both hard to beat. Biggest complaint about the 350 was the muffler bolts loosening up. Husqvarna redesigned the 353 to fix that. Then they added the easy-to-remove shroud so that you didn't need a wrench to clean the air filter.

Stihl finally launched the MS 261 in an effort to beat the 353 and then charged $600 for it. Whether that strategy succeeded remains debatable.

Did your impulse line on the cylinder line up with the case? I don’t remember the exact details but I had similar problem on my 350 years ago with a a/m top end. Turns out the impulse didn’t line up there. Couldn’t rev it up much.

I got a saw in today that runs great but after 5 minutes it just stops and is hard to restart. These kind of problems are sometimes hard to troubleshoot but I'm going with the ignition module on this one. Already checked the tank vent..

I have concluded that this chain saw was packed with defective parts before it was shipped. On the outside it was cosmetically in great shape. The owner could not fix it, regardless of what he did. So he stuffed it with worthless parts that he had in his shop, listed it for sale as a non-running "project" saw, and sold it...

A good many on ebay look that way. There was one recently that had the carb torn apart and thrown on top of the carb box. No boot in sight.

I've wanted to do a parts saw for while now but can't find one cheap enough or complete enough for it to make sense.

Did your impulse line on the cylinder line up with the case? I don’t remember the exact details but I had similar problem on my 350 years ago with a a/m top end. Turns out the impulse didn’t line up there. Couldn’t rev it up much.

Iirc from the videos, it's the 346 that needs a groove on the cup.

I wouldn't have been able to wait - would have swapped a carb off one of his runners and checked the impulse while the carb was off.

Yes, but they're a whole lot cheaper. You can buy 4 of them for the price of 1 oem coil..
I use them, I just make sure not to run the machine hot.Usually a muffler mod 38 to 1 mix and adjust the carburetor so it runs a little cooler and the Chinese coil works just fine.

Did you ever find a better saw to replace it? The 350 and 353 are both hard to beat. Biggest complaint about the 350 was the muffler bolts loosening up. Husqvarna redesigned the 353 to fix that. Then they added the easy-to-remove shroud so that you didn't need a wrench to clean the air filter.

Stihl finally launched the MS 261 in an effort to beat the 353 and then charged $600 for it. Whether that strategy succeeded remains debatable.
I really liked the 350, and never had any issues with it. I did sell it to a friend and replaced it with a clean pawn shop found 340. I like that one, too!

Frustrating...3200 max rpm.

My vote is that the ignition coil is on its way out, swap it with a known good one. Timing & spark kV is not right at high speed.

I’ve seen this twice in 200 plus sick saws, but it can happen. One was a Poulan 3400 & the other a low end Husky. Both made great blue spark on a pull test. Both would keep that blue spark visibly hopping on an in-line tester, up to a point, then scatter out or completely quit.

You should be able to lean most carbs out to send the RPMs to the moon!, but I’ve never used a clone carb.
Fixed! Looks like Hotshot was correct. The new coil that I just installed solved the problem (along with the new carb and top end). The saw idles OK and the new parts hold 9,500 RPM at the top end with good acceleration, and that's good enough for me. Oh, and no smoke pouring out the exhaust either.

Needless to say, I gave it about a 10% chance. The old coil was not the OEM and neither is the new one I just installed, so it may conk out. If it crashes, I'll try to order an OEM. If nothing else, a new AM part that works and hardly cost anything was good enough for solving the mystery.

My hat is off to Hotshot, SVK, and all others who responded here. ArboristSite scores again!

Back