Rec. climbing in VA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canyon Angler said:
RB- Please let me know if you guys put anything together in the area. I'm a total newbie to climbing but would like to learn from some guys who know what they're doing if possible. I'm over on the Eastern Shore but could come across the bay.

Will do. I have never climbed though, so I really have no pull. Sounds like we could get a bunch of newbies in VA! Seriously though, I would bet that my friend would be willing to let us climb some trees. Maybe we could bring our handsaws and do a little maintenence. I will have to snap a pic of his property next time I am over there. He has talked about taking some smaller trees out as well. There are a few that have suffered storm damage.

Munkee feet said:
Hey G... are you going too or desire too plan anything???
Munkeeft

Would anyone be able to get together on Sunday? Partly cloudy 10% precip. chance.

gasman said:
Would anyone be able to get together on Sunday? Partly cloudy 10% precip. chance.

Not unless it's at my house. Got company coming over.

Well, as far as I know gumneck is the only guy in the vicinity that climbs. Ryan Willock climbs too, but he is down in NC now. Maybe Dadatwins, I think he's in Richmond. Munkee where in VA are you?

Just wanted to be clear I was interested in learning the rec climbing thing myself and that I could/should not be the teacher. I can do the gaff thing all day but have done very little (practically nothing) without them. I'm not even sure I would feel comfortable at greater than 30' without them.

I use a double ended wire core flip, safetied in with a split tail and blakes or klemheist so I am always attached to tree.

I've said it before, I'm a hack!

Be right back.

gumneck said:
Just wanted to be clear I was interested in learning the rec climbing thing myself and that I could/should not be the teacher. I can do the gaff thing all day but have done very little (practically nothing) without them. I'm not even sure I would feel comfortable at greater than 30' without them.

I use a double ended wire core flip, safetied in with a split tail and blakes or klemheist so I am always attached to tree.

I've said it before, I'm a hack!

Be right back.

Dude I can't even clean the gutters since I fell from a ladder painting and broke 2 or 3 ribs about three years ago. (should have known better) It's not that I'm afraid of heights I'm afraid of falling!

gasman said:
Dude I can't even clean the gutters since I fell from a ladder painting and broke 2 or 3 ribs about three years ago. (should have known better) It's not that I'm afraid of heights I'm afraid of falling!

I think everyone has a natural fear of heights and falling(some may or may not readily admit it but I think we all do and I think its a good thing). Its not normal for us to be 10,20,30 ft or higher off the ground. But after you start "low and slow" and get comfortable with the gear the initial fear is overcome. But keeping it there and in check can help you make smart decisions.

So I would say to all the VA guys/gals(Tidewater guys on this thread that are interested) to get the Tree Climbers Companion by Jepson. Practice the knots and friction hitches and understand the basic climbing systems. That way, when your up off the ground you'll have a great starting point from which to go higher.

My climbing usually consists on weekends if I have to or get the chance. So my legs will get a workout(read as get soar) and then I wont get back to it for another week or more. My point is the physical aspect may prompt some stretching or other physical preparedness ahead of time. You dont want to be trunk walking and pop a leg cramp.

Just some of my rambling thoughts/ideas.

Sunday's no good for me either gasman but thanks for trying to put it together. gumneck, sounds like good advice for a greenhorn like me. I may need to wait until the new year...I don't even have a saddle or rope yet, and ti$ the $ea$on and all that...

I might be able to make it over Gasman. Let me email my buddy Jim and see if he could come down from Alexandria....

Hey all, another Virginia treehugger here. I'm down in the Blacksburg area. I just started working for a small tree care company, but I've been climbing for a while and have my own equipment and stuff. Not that I'm terribly good, but I have a lot of the theory down. Oh, and I have an Ashley Book of Knots, and I know lots of them. :rock: :cheers: I'd love to get together with other climbers for some tree fun.:biggrinbounce2:

Sunday

Good chance Sunday will happen. Anyone else in?

Right now I've got a large maple trunk lined up to mill Saturday but it looks like I will have to push it back to Sunday b/c of kids schedules'.

Are there gonna be some experienced climbers there? Looks like it will be good weather all though a little too warm maybe.

gumneck said:
Right now I've got a large maple trunk lined up to mill Saturday but it looks like I will have to push it back to Sunday b/c of kids schedules'.

Are there gonna be some experienced climbers there? Looks like it will be good weather all though a little too warm maybe.

Jbird and a climbing buddy of his Jim I believe so far.

JBird took me climbing today had a great time. Perfect afternoon. Just baby steps for me, but what a blast. Anyhow there seems to be a probelm with my ISP. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to post tonight.

325693782_7fa7c08eb9.jpg

Yes, a very nice intro climb at the lake today. Looking foward to climbing with you again soon. Keep in touch!

tree climbing

I would have liked to hooked up with you all...but with short notice and other commetments....I was unable. Maybe the next time.
Munkeeft

Anyone interested in Central VA rec climbing out there?

Back