Rec. climbing in VA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
near virginia tech? I'll be there this sunday to wednesday.:blob2:

I do have some time on tuesday, but unfortunatley Va. Tech would be too much of a haul for me on short notice. (3+ hours) Shame, I would love to meet you and look at, learn about, or even climb a tree!!!

(Poor trees that they are, all getting parched something terrible around here)

Well dayumm, I was just up there at the downtown Marriot some time back for training.

i am in the williamsburg area and up for some rec climbing and what not with some other experienced climbers. keep me in mind...have my own gear, do some tree jobs, not the best at climbing but one can only get better with practice

Springfield (just south of the beltway). Would like to learn how everyone else does it!

Well , I am new with rec climbing so unfortunately I don't have alot of extra wisdom . I get around okay with my DdRT and blakes/ split tail. I'm thinking about going to A french prussic variation to hopefully make getting around limbs eaisier.

i have heard horror stories about the french prussic. some say it is a good set up others i have heard say it is a death hitch. be careful

Thanks cntrybo2, You are right I am probably at the point where I am comfortable enough to hurt myself but not yet experienced enough. That is one reason why I posted. Hoping to find experienced people interested in rec climbing.

I will be careful, I am aware that Blakes is a relatively versatile and forgiving knot where the more advanced hitches are much more dependent on other factors such as cord combination,condition, weather etc. I will experiment thouroughly with new setups before staking my safety on them. I will also carry a tried backup system in case it is needed.

Well it went someting like this.... Friday about 2pm The Gasman and myself arrived at the lake house. JimW was stuck in traffic north of Fredericksburg out of DC, and it was hot and humid. We unpacked our gear and supplies and were quickly drenched in sweat. So we did the responsible thing... we went down to the basement/bar/poolroom/lounge/sleeping quarters to enjoy the air conditioning and put on some tunes. It wasn't very hard for me to convince Gasman that we ought to grab a cold one while we wait for Jim, and that we could always climb tomorrow morning, afterall, we are on vacation.

Jim arrives about a brew and a half later and gets a tour of the place... five acres of heaven as I like to call it.
So we settle in and make some plans for the morning and get dinner ready...
Mahi Mahi
Rice
Green beans
Pineapple upsidedown in your driveway cake

Delicious

We or should I say I, stayed up way too late, and enjoyed a stroll through the lake. Very nice and quiet out there.

Gasman whipped us up some nice eggs and bacon and coffee stong enough to wake up a treeclimber. So nice to wake up the smell of bacon and coffee....

Saturday, we climbed. We sweat. We dehydrated and rehydrated and dehydrated again. Oh it was hot. Africa hot.

Some roast beast and ham sammies... a little dip in the lake... Jim experimented with the supersytem.... I took a powernap... it was great.

A little more climbing then it was time for dinner, and tequilas. Some jazz, some pool. Sliders and rollers on the barBQ

Sunday we ate some fluffy Gasman pancakes and toyed with the notion of some more climbing, but I think we all were
not too excited about more heat, and then a ride home. So we cleaned up after ourselves and enjoyed each others company.

Looking back, I know I could have taken more pictures or done a bit more climbing, but I've got to say I still view this gathering as a four star event. Thanks Gasman for having us down to your place, and for taking such great care of us!
And thanks Jim for making the trip down! Keep on climbing, and keep in touch!

1039818370_383c663a5b.jpg

The LARC Crew 07....left to right.... J~bird, The Slow~walking webfooted sandeater, The Gasman

1039818482_f4b1460ba0.jpg

Gasman Limb~Walks

1039818392_f2a6a65ce5_m.jpg

Greek Proverb

gasman & Jbird,

I'm a stones throw away - Sturgeon Creek. I've never climbed but would love to learn. Let me know the next time you guys get together... My wife wants to learn and make it a family "thing" but we'll have to wait for our kids to get a little older(I think). I'd also like to learn to use spikes too but I haven't found any one willing to teach me since I'm not in the business...

Foghorn

Hiya Foghorn, I can find time to come by and give you a demo before the end of the month. Check your PM's for my cellphone #.

hey Canyon,
define far east Virginia. I am in the williamsburg area and i am willing to show you some stuff. I do tree work on the side and do a little rec climbing now and then to hone new skills. depending on what you are trying to learn i am willing to hook up maybe and show you the ropes and maybe even let you dangle form them haha

Cntrybo - I'm on the Eastern Shore...not all that far from Wmsburg...once I get more situated (I'm in the process of buying rope, saddle, helmet, book, etc) maybe we can get together for some climbing...I'd appreciate anything you could show me, and I travel across the bay from time to time to see civilization... :cheers:

Back