rec climbing not to many thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not fair. Don't know who I'm talking to exactly, but maybe you can help me out? and yes the one in West Hartford. Elizabeth Park, May 19th 7:00- 4:00, with my two brothers Mark and Sean.

They won't let out-of-staters compete:angry: lucky for you!:hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe I'll come down to show you guys some support!

I wet scouting this week. Lynn Woods is WAY to muddy! There are some cool trees but they are at least a 20-30 miute bike ride in and closer to 45-60 minute hike.

Anyone else come up with anything?

I've got a tree or two in Franklin Park:laugh: I'll go pretty much anywhere though! We're a little over two weeks away, so it's time to get some firm plans. Anyone else have any Ideas???

I guess there are two kinds of climbs. One is all comers, this is the toughest to host since easy access is needed and a place where no one minds a gang of climbers swinging in the trees. OTG has hosted this type of climb but we're always on the edge of p*ssing off the authorities.

The other is this: I have various excellent woods climbs for a max 4 climbers. Maybe more frequent climbs with less people per can get everyone climbing?

Also there's Bob Mihalek's back yard woods, mid-sized red oaks, generously offered.
-moss

Bob Mihalek is a great guy, and I have been to his house.....but I think Bobs house is more suited for a few climbers, something more large scale may require something with bigger trees.....just my two cents Im no authority on rec. climbing

I stopped on my way home to scout Wrentham State Forest, I thought there might be some opporunities there but I don't think so. Lots of 100'+ pines but no branches, just tall, fairly skinny trees. I didn't walk in all that far, I'll go further when I have more time but I don't think the scenery will change much. Furthermore, I too wonder about the authorities if a large gang showed up.

I'll keep looking...

Looks like we're going to have at least six climbers of varying ability. I have a Red Oak behind our shop here that can hold at least four climbers comfortably, its about 60ft tall 40ft wide, couple of nice limbwalks. This might be good because no one will hassle us. The alternative is the Beech grove which has a bunch of tall beeches, I think the park (st)rangers have seen us there enough now to just leave us alone. I will happily hold it here, just let me know what you all think. I'll be away untill the 29th so if I don't respond it's because I am fishing in the Keys!:laugh:

I'll vote OTG's beeches, they are tall and have plenty of room for multiple climbers. We still have to work on new locations so it's not always on OTG to host.
-moss

I'll vote OTG's beeches, they are tall and have plenty of room for multiple climbers. We still have to work on new locations so it's not always on OTG to host.
-moss

I am good for whatever!

I have some locals in Lynn woods. BUT they are a hike and it is SUPER muddy ou there.

DonnyO, you are one mysterious cat, how are we gonna know it's you? You're gonna to have to give us a sign. Will it be the frazzed out 12 strand that you've been climbing on 25 years or will it be that funky saddle picked up for $15 bucks at the Revere flea market in '74? Or maybe I have the wrong DonnyO. The last time I saw DonnyO he was surfcasting for stripers at the Sugar Bowl on the full moon high tide. Then I turned around and he was gone, mystery dude that he is.

I'm up for Lynn woods when it dries out a bit.
-moss

Last edited:
Mud

I have the same problem now that BostonBull mentioned-mud! Too much mud in the woods behind my house for any reasonable climbing to get done. I mean, we could start climbing pretty clean, but once we're all there and walking around and such, it would just turn into a mud pit. I have trouble getting back to my firewood supply because there's so much mud.

When it all dries out, I could certainly host a group climb. Parking is a bit limited, but I think 8, maybe 10 cars is okay. There're probably 6 large red oaks right behind my house and if we took a little walk farther into the 15 acres of woods, we'd find more.

Oh, by the way, I have to go to a school fair on the 31st, so I won't be able to join you guys at OTGs. I'm sure we'll all be able to get together a couple times this summer though.

Bob, I will rip a rec. climb with you some afternoon, I know of some great spots near our domain.....God knows I need the practice and the exercise after this long winter!

Now I'm undecided...

I was rear-ended last week by some moron not paying attention, ended up with a totaled car. :censored: The seat belt kept me from hitting the steering wheel but for some reason, it let me go forward enough to smack my head on the side windshield post - man, that hurt and dazed me for a few seconds. I wish I had been wearing my climbing helmet :)

So, I'm down to one vehicle. I would like to climb but I should go car shopping and/or work on my van. I'll decide in another day or two.

Sorry....

Sorry to hear about that Moe, it's definitely more dangerous to drive cars than it is to climb trees. Good luck getting your wheels back on the road.
-moss

I would love to go....but I really should spend the next several days focusing in on the MCA exam on april 5th....the study material is as thick as the boston phone book.....:help: :dizzy: :confused: :cry:

I would love to go....but I really should spend the next several days focusing in on the MCA exam on april 5th....the study material is as thick as the boston phone book.....:help: :dizzy: :confused: :cry:

lol.....I thought that was only available on CD rom? :laugh: :taped: :D

Latest posts

Back