Rec Climbing on Public Land

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacerX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone recreational climb on public land? Do you just walk into the woods and start climbing? Just wondering if anyone does this and if they've ever had a problem with someone who felt that they shouldn't be there doing it.

Does anyone recreational climb on public land? Do you just walk into the woods and start climbing? Just wondering if anyone does this and if they've ever had a problem with someone who felt that they shouldn't be there doing it.

All the time. Mileage varies per location. Stay away from places where tree climbing is specifically prohibited (like national parks). I avoid high profile trees and locations. Climb away from trails and practice good woods ethics (leave no trace) and you'll do fine.
-moss

Thanks for the info Moss. I have some state land that has great trees but I figured that climbing there would be prohibited. Not sure if I should ask first.:)

Thanks for the info Moss. I have some state land that has great trees but I figured that climbing there would be prohibited. Not sure if I should ask first.:)

It is likely that if you ask for permission the answer will be no but I can't predict one way or the other. I've talked to a Mass. DCR official about it and he said that technically speaking a rope and harness climber would need a permit and a million bucks liability coverage to recreationally climb on DCR land. He pointed out a half a dozen other activities that require the same permit and insurance (hang gliding for for example). That may be the answer if you ask.
-moss

I'll second Moss' opinion. My experience is that, as long as you're away from the trail, chances are you won't even be noticed. The few times non-climbers have seen me climbing, the response is more to the novelty of the activity versus the "do you have a permit" attitude.

Of course, if you do get asked, you can mention the importance of doing canopy research, cataloging tree heights/volumes, looking for invasive insects, and a host of other official sounding activities!

I'll second Moss' opinion. My experience is that, as long as you're away from the trail, chances are you won't even be noticed. The few times non-climbers have seen me climbing, the response is more to the novelty of the activity versus the "do you have a permit" attitude.

Speaking of which is there still a haul line in the white pine over your way? I'm thinking of climbing on Sunday.
-moss

It should still be there. What time Sunday are you shooting for? I'm not sure when I'm free on Sunday, but I have an SRT kit now and could use more practice.

Going to depend on the two things for the most part;

1) Ownership & management strategies for the particular property. Reforestation land vs. intensively used park for example. Properties managed for resources rec climbing likely permited as long as no damage to the land and trees occurs. I'd stay away from developed parks as they generally have more restrictive rules for use due to their more intensive use.

2) The "organization" of the recreational activity. A single person, or informal group of friends getting together to recreate on state lands is not a problem. Organized, advertised activities designed to attract more people are likely to require permits, but not necessarily prohibited. Obviously if $ are exchanged permits or prohibitions apply.

Clear as mud right? Best to look at the regulations for a specific property vs. asking for such a general answer. Most can be found online with a little help from google/yahoo.

I personally live by the rule that it is easier to ask for forgivness than it is to beg for permission. So climb where you want until it comes up,unless its on private property and the fella has a gun then just run real fast and dont look back!

Latest posts

Back