Recoil rope slow to go in, Stihl MS200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This ms200 is several years old, never did this but haven't used it in a year. The rope is very slow to go back in when I pull it. At times, after I pull, I wondered would it even go back in at all! Easy fix or what, and how? Thank you.

It’s dry and probably needs to be lubed. The stud and spring. Another overlooked maintenance thing. I just took apart a recoil housing and found a spring broken in three places and rust was present. The po told me the rope didn’t rewind, gee I wonder why?

Who’d a thunk doing maintenance on the starter housing? I never did till decades ago a spring broke. It happens to all of us. Lol

I had an old Strunk here a long time ago. I had a friend over and he pulled it over before I could tell him not to.

Old, dry rusty spring broke in 27 pieces. [emoji2960]

High carbon steel is notch sensitive and rust pits are just the thing set it off.

Slow going back in is mostly dirt and saw chips packed in the spring’s nest. Clean it.

Back