Recommend an Arborist Helmet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a few Petzl Vertex vent helmets recently. Light, vented, easy adjustment via thumb wheels. one size fits all which means its a bit bigger than needed shell than guys with small heads like me. In bike helmets there are sizes for a closer fit profile, oh well. Webbing inside with air space between helmet top and your head. Great place to store bandana, warm cap, etc. Only weak point is the chin strap is too far forward, very near your eyes, and the chin strap snap is small and hard to unlatch after a few hours of hand work.

Also got a Kask super plasma. I like the ear muffs they sell that snap on, very good ones. Better chin strap and latch. Also, Kask adds bike helmet like styrofoam material between the cron of your head and the top of the helmet. No storage there but maybe better protection.

Both are good, i have the ground man wear the Kask, and climber wear the Petzl figuring ground needs more protection from falling stuff, climber needs lighter and more vents.

of course the cool kids get Phanner helmets with Seneca radios built in, maybe someday....

Climb higher. Just wanted to mention, that space between your head and the helmet is there in the event the helmet gets put to use. If you put stuff in there as storage and you take a fall or something hits you on the head well, it’s just as if you didn’t have the helmet in at all. The helmet is designed to have a specific amount of space there for shock load clearance.

Yeah, I try to only put soft stuff in between crown webbing and Petzl helmet. The interesting thing is that Kask goes another direction - filling that space completely with styrofoam. I would assume it acts as a crumple zone, taking some of the force like a bike helmet would. My conclusion / best guess is that if you put stuff up in the Pezl it shouldn't be your car keys and anything hard, maybe only soft stuff, like that big wad of benjamins we each earn daily doing tree work, lol.

The Kask Zenith is the one I am looking at. Meets z89.1. I don’t see many climbing helmets that do. The vents are one of the reasons. But to get the full set up with the face shield and muffs it’s way out of my budget.

The only one I’ve used this the Kask Plasma and it does the job. I don’t have the muffs for it because I wear earplugs at the moment. The Kask is much more comfortable than the Petzl rock climbing helmets I have used in the past so that is my only basis of comparison.

Protos doesn't look so expensive when you realize how much a face shield and muffs add on to a kask or petzl.
Why the zenith? Are you doing line clearance where they make you have a non vented helmet?

@Climb Higher You can adjust the location of the chinstrap on Petzl Vertex helments. You just loosen it up and side it front to back.

I really like the new version of a Vertex Vent. It's what I use daily. I have an older non vented one that has a totally different headgear where the adjust is in the back. It's not as comfortable as the new design with the thumb wheels on each side. From memory, I think the new design adjust the front and back of the headgear to make it smaller instead of adjusting only the back. 3M muffs are around $30 for the petzl helmets. They have given me good service for years. I'd gladly buy a Vertex again.

I am liking the Zenith because it meets z89.1 Class E rather than Class C. Need Class E for my wrk environment.

9818C32B-07DE-4A3A-9830-1198681C9DED.jpeg 1523F1C4-65FA-4972-B3AC-73460DF9ED89.jpeg Here’s mine. It’s a Kask plasma. I really like it but it is hot and the pads get soaked with sweat. Not so bad when working but take it off and put it back on - yuck. The muffs and visor are Hellberg safe 2 and they were hard to find. I think everything was less than 2 bills.

I've had a Protos for two years and wouldn't wear any other. When I have to wear a Petzl with comms for crane work I hate it. No face shield and clunky muffs. Also the Protos is broad enough to give a little shade, which I like.

I've used Petal Vertex Vent and Kask Super Plasma. My preference is for the Petzl because it is much easier to wash. The Kask grips my head better while climbing but the padding and velcro dots holding it on tear off when I tried to remove for cleaning. I used super glue to reattach the velcro and repair the pad and I was not real happy with the quality of it. If you do go with a Kask I would always wear a buff/bandana/do-rag on your head to reduce the need to clean because they can get rank with all that Styrofoam in there.

i got one of these lids a year ago very happy lite comfy adjustable even for my pin head and nay to pricey,, the drop down eyes screen i thought was a bit silly but i used it more times than expected. oh i preffer to use ear butt plugs rather than clip on muffs so not sure how it fits up with snap in muffs

download (7).jpg

note link is in OZ dollars
https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Prod...47874-1646/DYNAMIC-LIGHT-arborist-helmet.aspx

thumbnail_WP_20170629_021.jpg

works well underground too :)

thumbnail_WP_20170906_012.jpg

I got my Kask Zenith today. This helmet is amazing. The attachments are solid and super well integrated. Fit and finish....leather chin strap need I say more? Meets z89.1 class E!

Latest posts

Back