recommendation for a budget chipper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeracket

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
There is an older thread on this that seems to be dead. So I am getting my first chipper and so far I have been renting but 500 a day is killing me and the bank says go pick one out. The budget is $10000 max so you know we're talking used. I am most interested in 12 inch feed models, seems like a good size. Around Atlanta all the major brands are supported and parts are available. Questions (pick one)

Are really old chippers (20+) worth looking at?
Are "the hours unknown" chippers good?
Any engine brands known to be trouble?
Are drums any way better than discs?
Is a diesel better than gas?
Is a hydraulic lift a must have?
Would you look at a unit with high hours?

How big of a truck are you pulling it with? 500 per day is a lot to rent!

This one looks great. Maybe you could get him down to 10k

Here's another if your truck's big enough. And another 250xp for less...

I've owned this exact model chipper a year newer with a deutz. If it's only 300 hours that's crazy. I paid 6k for it in 2011. This would be an excellent starter chipper if he's willing to be reasonable on price.
F350 with the v10 which does fine with pretty much anything, I have a 14,000# dump trailer.

Those ads are interesting. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Bandit 200 or 250, or a BC1000. Seems like an Altec DC1317 would be about the same thing.

As for $500, that's what Sunbelt, United and Herc all charge with taxes for a 12" chipper per day. There is a local rental firm near here that charges around $300 but you gotta drive an hour to get it which is something else to put on the cost list.

Right now I'm trying to see if can get fleet maintenance records for the auction units at Ritchy Bros. I am guessing they scrub owner data from the units they sell to prevent end-arounds from happening before the auction. I just want to know if the chippers were maintained properly or not.

F350 with the v10 which does fine with pretty much anything, I have a 14,000# dump trailer.

Those ads are interesting. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Bandit 200 or 250, or a BC1000. Seems like an Altec DC1317 would be about the same thing.

As for $500, that's what Sunbelt, United and Herc all charge with taxes for a 12" chipper per day. There is a local rental firm near here that charges around $300 but you gotta drive an hour to get it which is something else to put on the cost list.

Right now I'm trying to see if can get fleet maintenance records for the auction units at Ritchy Bros. I am guessing they scrub owner data from the units they sell to prevent end-arounds from happening before the auction. I just want to know if the chippers were maintained properly or not.

Looks like that Auction will have a lot of options for you! You'll be counting down the days til June 26th. But I wouldn't wait if you find a good deal on something from craigs.

I've got the same truck as you. Helps me as I consider getting a larger chipper.

Latest posts

Back