Recommendation for Vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esq1997

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My cheap big box store vise finally broke down so I am in need of a more durable/professional vice. I've been looking on line and see that there are quite a few older vises out there to choose from. Locally a seller is offering a Parker No. 49 that appears to be in good condition - no cracks or repairs. The price seems consistent with what others are asking for in my neck of the woods. Wondering if anyone out there knows anything about this model vise or has any other recommendations for older models.

My cheap big box store vise finally broke down so I am in need of a more durable/professional vice. I've been looking on line and see that there are quite a few older vises out there to choose from. Locally a seller is offering a Parker No. 49 that appears to be in good condition - no cracks or repairs. The price seems consistent with what others are asking for in my neck of the woods. Wondering if anyone out there knows anything about this model vise or has any other recommendations for older models.
Food for thought:

The problem with asking what vises are worth is that your location pretty much dictates the price. If you live in a location that doesn't have many nice older vises, the prices will be higher.

I was lucky enough to get my grandfather’s machinist vise. It’s a 4” jaw Columbian. 1940s made in USA. Weighs about 50lbs. Works perfect. If buying new the same advice I give on all tools, buy the best you can afford. Wilton makes the best. The bullet vises are top quality made in USA. My dad had one at the shop in the maintenance department and it was used hard for 30 years. They do make a cheaper line but it is made overseas. We have a Rigid vise at work and it sure seems as tough as the Wilton, made in USA or Germany. If it’s from a box store you might as well just buy a harbor freight one cause it’s the same Chinese quality but at least you paying what it’s worth. I’d look for a used one. Older craftsman, columbian, starret. Those were all USA made from real iron not recycled Honda pilots. There’s plenty of other brands too from years ago that still have a lot of work left in them. I look at where a tool is made, USA, Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland. Any vise coming from those places will be a good one1E4EF63F-A576-4E92-8C39-AE7F8A6C1682.jpeg

pretty much any pre 70's us made vise should be made of great steel, plan on 1.00 a lb in fair to poor condition, good condition triple that number or more. Be prepared to drive immediately to get a good one because shipping gets crazy and these things sell very well even when priced strongly. Current stuff is mostly all cast from chinese trash steel that has flooded the markets for several decades, expect to spend 4-500 on the low end for one made from decent steel. I cried when i purchased mine both in happiness and sadness due to it being a lifetime purchase and the price. Keep telling yourself you only have to buy it once...if buying new Wilton is your best choice and I highly recommend one that not only swivels but also rotates and has pipe jaws...those become very handy things to use.

Find a good old one that's mechanically sound. Most, but not all, are not what they formerly were.
Find a machinists widow and you'll find what you want cheap.
Seriously under rated advice. A buddy sent me a few pics of his grandpas shed after he passed. He asked if I wanted anything. His grandpa was a machinist for nasa. That’s how I got my Wilton for free.

Back