Recommendation ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oly's Stump

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I had almost signed papers for a OWB installation but with the rumor of EPA coming down with the hammer I kinda got scared away for now to see what happens. I would like recommendations for heating a small building (22'x20') with wood heat. I am a trapper and I use the building for skinning and drying fur and other shop related tasks. I have a gas forced furnace in the building now but the wife does not want me using the gas to heat the building. She said to convert to wood heat. I use the building just about everyday. I have endless quantity of firewood becuase I am in the tree business. The building is insulated. What do you recommend ?...wood stove (what make), add on wood furnace or what. I wanted to keep the cost down in case sometime down the road a OWB would be feasable.

jump onto craigslist or other similar calssifieds and find an older wood stove about 75-150 bucks then go buy the best instalation materials available tripple lined chimney stack spark arrested cap etc.. so for 400-500 you are burning wood.

recommendation

well are you inside city limits or outside in the country?
i say the outdoor wood burner, if not a new one get one that is used, i have seen 2 units that were 7-8 k range selling for 3-4 k and they were only 2 yrs old. you would be able to heat your house, shop and probally still have room to heat more if you wanted. you have a endless supply of wood, i`d say go for the odwb. you wouldn`t be sorry:D

This unit will be heating a 20'x22' building, nothing else?

A tiny free standing from craiglist or scambay would be more than sufficient, why in the world would you put a OWB in for such a small heating task.

The main reason OWBs get a bad rap is the visual smoke the produce when there in by-pass , I would think a OWB would be in smolder mode 95% of the time on such a small building.

Unless your going to heat your house with it also?

If you're looking into heating the shop and a home, how about an indoor wood boiler like a tarm? Im sure theres something out there that burns clean and can handle the heating demand. If its just for the building, I'd get a small used stove.

If it's insulated, then I have a cast iron boxwood stove and the single wall black pipe you can have for a decent $. I'm about 35-40 miles from you. The stove and pipe only have 1 year of clean/hot fires on them, one damper and a spare new one.

Otherwise if it were me, a hot air wood furnace would be more than adequate, to keep you toasty, and with whatever chimney pipe you need, total cost at/under $1000. Menards- Daka wood furnace, simple, inexpensive, nice accesories to extend 'heating burn times' beyond 8hours. I have this unit heating my house, no hesitation about getting another one for heating the shop.

I wood check with your home owners ins. and ask them if they will let you have a wood burning stove in the barn, Many dont.

If not buy a used one.....(indoor)

My intentions with the OWB was too heat my home, my rental property next door and my fur shed, and bath water. With all the rumors about the EPA coming down with the hammer on the OWB I thought I would take a wait and see type action. I found a cheap wood stove on Ebay (Century Heat) that I am the winning bidder. I decided to go with some of your recommendations and go that route. I will be buying quality piping and install it right. Thanks Much Everyone!

Back