Recommendations/Advice. Chainsaw mill.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machyeti

6 days a week then beer time
Reaction score
Grabbed up a 084 magnum for the PH. What brand of mill would you guys recommend? Best bar and chain? Tips and tricks? :happybanana:

I like the build quality and customer service from Granberg

with a 42” bar, a 36” mill would be an Excellent fit. Figure about 6-8” more bar than the “Listed Size” of the mill

The Listed Size of the mill, is the overall length of the mill rails, NOT the size bar you need, or the size of log that you can mill

With the 36” Granberg, you will have about 33.5 between the clamp inside Faces, with the mill at it’s Extreme Maximum settings

Many find it comfortable to mill with one end “Leading “, typically the Nose end, so you will find that about 28-30” diameter log is about Practical size for a 36” mill

Whether perpendicular, or one end leading, pick whatever position is most comfortable for YOU, then be as CONSISTENT as Possible, “Seesawing” Nose end/ Thrust End back and forth can leave marks in your cut, a consistent milling angle will give you a better finish

Doug :cheers:

Yeah I've been hearing good things about the Granbergs, thinkn I'll end up putting a 60" bar on it. Bunch of big trees downed after the fires here in cali. Thanks a ton man very helpful

Granbergs are much more durable than the knockoffs. Experience.

Well, with a 60" bar, you need a 48" Granberg rather than the 36". You don't want the excess bar sticking out of the mill too much. You would either have to remove the tip guard (not recommended for obvious safety reasons) or use up the excess bar length at the clutch side. I don't like the latter because it has your saw hand far from the edge of the log. Also, it may not matter that much but I just don't like the weight of the saw hanging out there far from the mill. The bar bends in my mind if nowhere real.

Rule of thumb. Whatever the bar length, knock off 6 inches for tip clamp and saw sprocket cover if you remove the dogs.

Now, a 42" bar will cost about 1/2 the price or less of a 60" bar. Mounted in a 48" mill, you can get a cut width of about 36 inches. Mounted in a 36" mill, its slightly less but still around 35." It's a better way of learning. Chainsaw milling is hard. Really. Physically taxing. I started with a 32" bar and worked up to a 42" in increments. I'm about to move up to a 60" WHEN NEEDED. I can't imagine having started out with 60" or having to run one on every log. I still plan to use the 42" primarily. A 36" log is pretty doggone big.

Why sharpen a 60 inch chain every time you mill a log under 36 inches? 42" has a lot less cutters.

I have 20" 25", 36" and 42" bars and use the shortest you can get away with. Oiling, sharpening, and weight. This stuff gets heavy! I use the old PantherPro mill in 42" which I believe is no longer available. Quality welded steel unit, and if i wanted to go longer, can use 1" square steel to extend. A buddy uses a Granberg and it is nice. I think if my old Panthermill died, I'd end up wiht the Granberg.

I have 20" 25", 36" and 42" bars and use the shortest you can get away with. Oiling, sharpening, and weight. This stuff gets heavy! I use the old PantherPro mill in 42" which I believe is no longer available. Quality welded steel unit, and if i wanted to go longer, can use 1" square steel to extend. A buddy uses a Granberg and it is nice. I think if my old Panthermill died, I'd end up wiht the Granberg.
I cannot be more in agreement with that first sentence. I have 24, 32, 36 and 42. Getting a 28' and 60' soon. Of course, it is not cheap.

When I am starting a log, I use my 390xp and stick with it up to about a 28" cut. My 390 does not like the 42" bar though it will certainly oil it. I can switch a bar and chain like a jackrabbit on that saw. Heck, it's easier and faster to put a fresh chain on rather than sharpen. When I get above a 28' cut (36' bar), I'll be switching to the the 3120xp and 42' or 60" chain as needed. I cannot switch a bar and chain like a jackrabbit on that saw. I guess I'll be sharpening in the mill when using the 3120. I guess the plus side is that I won't be tempted to buy more than two chains for those long bars (always have a backup. Feces happens)

A full lineup of bars and chains ain't cheap though

I cannot be more in agreement with that first sentence. I have 24, 32, 36 and 42. Getting a 28' and 60' soon. Of course, it is not cheap.

When I am starting a log, I use my 390xp and stick with it up to about a 28" cut. My 390 does not like the 42" bar though it will certainly oil it. I can switch a bar and chain like a jackrabbit on that saw. Heck, it's easier and faster to put a fresh chain on rather than sharpen. When I get above a 28' cut (36' bar), I'll be switching to the the 3120xp and 42' or 60" chain as needed. I cannot switch a bar and chain like a jackrabbit on that saw. I guess I'll be sharpening in the mill when using the 3120. I guess the plus side is that I won't be tempted to buy more than two chains for those long bars (always have a backup. Feces happens)

A full lineup of bars and chains ain't cheap though
2 chains- one on it and one as a backup. if you have a helper, have them run the saw while you sharpen the other chain. I don't want anyone touching my chains but me. When i swap chains, i flip the bar over too, run a groove cleaner down it and check the oiler hole.

Back