Recommendations for a first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNCAndrew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a great Jotul woodstove that kept my place quite warm last winter. Last year was a year of purchasing wood and during the year I have scoped out a lot of downed trees around my area that I would like to limb, buck, and take home for heat during the next few winters.

I am looking for recommendations on used professional grade saws to run a 20" bar on.

There are lots of service shops that work on Stihl's and Husky's in my area, but my preference would be for a Stihl since more pop up on craigslist and parts and service are easier to come by.

In reading the forums, the 362 seems like the ideal model and there are several with light usage in the $400-$550 range depending on whether it's a private seller or a shop. Also currently listed in my area are an 034 and an 026 (which seems like it's too small for my intended needs). The 034 I think is the older generation to the 36x series and is at a good price.

I plan to purchase within the next month and since this is my first chainsaw, I'd like input from other forum members since this is a well informed community. When I get closer to purchasing, I'll also be checking on the trading post section of this site.

Thanks!

I have a great Jotul woodstove that kept my place quite warm last winter. Last year was a year of purchasing wood and during the year I have scoped out a lot of downed trees around my area that I would like to limb, buck, and take home for heat during the next few winters.

I am looking for recommendations on used professional grade saws to run a 20" bar on.

There are lots of service shops that work on Stihl's and Husky's in my area, but my preference would be for a Stihl since more pop up on craigslist and parts and service are easier to come by.

In reading the forums, the 362 seems like the ideal model and there are several with light usage in the $400-$550 range depending on whether it's a private seller or a shop. Also currently listed in my area are an 034 and an 026 (which seems like it's too small for my intended needs). The 034 I think is the older generation to the 36x series and is at a good price.

I plan to purchase within the next month and since this is my first chainsaw, I'd like input from other forum members since this is a well informed community. When I get closer to purchasing, I'll also be checking on the trading post section of this site.

Thanks!
Where are you in wnc? I have a couple of saws you can try out.

That sounds like fun and informative before buying a saw. I'm in the Boone area 1/2 of my week and on weekends in the Asheville and Maggie Valley areas.
Cool i am in brevard. Your welcome to run my 562 sometime. I have no stihl s though. You have a great husky dealer up in Boone .

Cool i am in brevard. Your welcome to run my 562 sometime. I have no stihl s though. You have a great husky dealer up in Boone .

Hey, I just got back today from a week stay in Brevard! Beautiful area! Took a partial vacation, but mostly there with my wife and kids scouting out a new area to live ....and set up my chainsaw carving business.

folks really talk up the echo value but I have not run one...what ya got for a dealer near by that is a important deciding factor....value used husky 55 is a runner stihl folks love the 026 line and 036 line if ya can find a nice 036 I day go for it..kind of depends on what you want for comfort...nice ride spring av mounts willing to go kinda old school rubber mounts the possibilities go on and on...I got a 2054 jonsereds out of the dump few weeks ago it's almost my favorite saw at the moment so go figure...this is of no help except to let you understand this forum is not a place of rational behavior...

go luck and enjoy the ride

Welcome to the forum WNCAndrew.

Don't forget to include safety gear in your budget (chaps,boots, helmet, eye and ear protection)

A good local dealer is a nice thing.

A great local dealer would probably sway my brand choice.

The Husky 555 and Echo 590 are often cited as great value saws, i.e. great performance at low cost (as @blsnelling has noted). I would add that a good used MS361 is also a great choice. I absolutely love my 361. It normally wears a 20" bar and full comp, full chisel chain. I've run it up to 24" bar with full skip chain in 30" white oak and it was fine. However, I picked up a ported 461, so anything over 20" goes on that power head. Go luck with your search.

Hey, I just got back today from a week stay in Brevard! Beautiful area! Took a partial vacation, but mostly there with my wife and kids scouting out a new area to live ....and set up my chainsaw carving business.
Nice! Lots of potential clients for you up in Lake Toxaway, Cashiers , and Highlands. They are all pretty close to Brevard. That's where a lot of the big money it's around here.

Edit:: sorry for the thread hijack:)

Just read a post from a member that got a 6100 dolmar for $535. You can't beat the warrenty, or the quality of a 6100 for the $$. This saw is greatly overlooked but if you read the reviews the 6100 is nipping on the heals of a 562xp (which is touted to be the best 60cc out there) and cost much less. Great air filtration, good gas economy, great power and torque. Home Depot lists them for $630 online in makita 6100 blue but I think most dolmar dealers are beating that price. 2stroke and bar oil in dolmar label are a great value compared to husky and Stihl stuff that cost 20% more

6400 dolmar and 6401/6421 makita's can be found for $300-$400 and can be upgraded from 64cc to 83/84cc with a $100 am cylinder kit that is very reliable and powerful.

People talk husky, Stihl, and echo and always skip the best saw for the money. Take a look at the reviews and make your own decision...

My brand spanking new Dolmar PS-6400 back in 2006. when I purchased her (second picture is my 40cc Sachs-Dolmar 105 for size comparison):
Dolmar PS-6400.JPG Sachs-Dolmar 105.JPG

Dolmar PS-6400 alongside my little 40cc Sachs-Dolmar 105:
Dolmar PS-6400 - Sachs-Dolmar 105 1.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 - Sachs-Dolmar 105 2.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 - Sachs-Dolmar 105 3.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 - Sachs-Dolmar 105 4.JPG

My Dolmar PS-6400 alongside my Dolmar PS-7900:
Dolmar PS-6400 Dolmar PS-7900 -1.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 Dolmar PS-7900 -2.JPG

My Dolmar PS-7900 wearing her 36" B&C setup:
Dolmar PS-7900 36inch Iggesund Forest R2 1.JPG Dolmar PS-7900 36inch Iggesund Forest R2 2.JPG

I know it is not of much help to the OP, but as a homeowner firewood hack I am extremely pleased with my saw lineup! :)
And besides, we all like pictures. ;)

The Dolmar PS-6400 (and equivalent successors and Makita versions) is being greatly overlooked because she's a 60cc class saw in a 70/80cc class saw's body - but be assured she wont miss a beat under any kind of load, neither softwood nor hardwood.

To be continued (can't attach more pictures) ...

6400 dolmar and 6401/6421 makita's can be found for $300-$400 and can be upgraded from 64cc to 83/84cc with a $100 am cylinder kit that is very reliable and powerful.

People talk husky, Stihl, and echo and always skip the best saw for the money. Take a look at the reviews and make your own decision...

For most people there isn't a Dolmar dealer within 100 miles

Back