Recommendations for a split tail with a Blake's on Poison Ivy/Blue Moon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchepren

Reaction score
This is a very specific question & I hope someone has some insight; I am looking for a recommendation for a single eye split tail for use with a Blake's hitch on Poison Ivy/BlueMoon? I was considering buying either 10mm EpiCORD or BeeLine but Sherrill Tree is recommending several 1/2" split tails. I thought this was odd since the climb line (11.7 mm) would smaller than the tail being recommended. Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of testing multiple split tails before making my purchase as this is a large purchase of 15 sets for a new recreational climb set-up for a youth camp.

Yes, I know, I know... closed system. I climb with a VT/ micro pulley 8 mil BeeLine eye to eye for my setup, but this is for community programs and we're keeping things simple. I have over 12 years experience facilitating groups on a traditional Blake's system, but it's always been on 1/2" 16-strand.

I would think a 10mil would be better than a full half inch. I think most places have both beeline and oceans poly in 10mm
I thought so too, but Sherrill seems to think differently. My only concern about the 10 mil is that it might bight too well and lock up. Youth climbers don't have the strength or coordination to unload the knot to break it loose. Because I don't have the opportunity to try different ones before I buy I'm hoping I can find someone who has used one they like. Buying 15 split-tails that don't work is a big hit! I'm going to call Wesspur on Monday to get their input.

If you're using a split tail I don't see how it would be a closed system at that point?

Anywhoo, the most simple setup would be an actual closed system, one Blue moon rope, tied off on a Blakes. If it's recreation you're probably starting out with a good tie in point, or at least they are and that's really the biggest negative to a closed system. DRT I prefer to climb on a more supple rope than BM but I've used Blue moon with a blakes tied to itself and it works fine.

As far as the 10mm I think that would be preferable over the random 1/2 inch. Not weighing very much and Bm being relatively stiff I don't think it'll lock up. For an amateur that would be the lesser of two evils. A slick/creeping hitch would turn off most aspiring climbers.

I wanna say wesspur carries an 11mm split tail. I think it's one of the samson ropes iirc.
I've got a ten mill oceans splittail. If I get a few minutes I'll try it out on a Hank of Luna that I have. Just a different color of blue moon.

Tried the 10mm oceans on well used yale 11.7
Thru a ring to ring, I'm about 175lbs geared up.
A standard 2/2 Blake's hitch wasn't holding very well for me ( might be better on a Natty crotch) added a wrap up top and it ran pretty well and was very secure.

Latest posts

Back