Recommendations for bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duvallite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for what bar oil to use. Currently have been using some generic brand bar oil in my old 031AV, but just got a new 241 C-M, and am wondering if I should upgrade my choice in bar oil to something else. Both saws will see only occasional use.

I use biodegradable chainsaw oil almost exclusively. Better for you, the environment and keeps the saw much cleaner. Better in every way except for when storing the saw for a longer period of time. It is best to use a little petroleum-based oil just before putting the saw away since that oil won't harden/dry over time. I even use rapeseed oil directly from the grocery store for bar oil. Works fine. At least where I'm at the biodegradable chainsaw oil is just 95% rapeseed oil and some additives.

If a guy can afford it and depends on your usages just go and buy a box of stihl light bar oil.

Leave the organic stuff on the shelf. You never know when you may be cutting near a bee tree till they swarm your sweet smelling bar oil. You can't run away with the saw in your hand, cause they fly faster than U can run, so just drop it and let them have it for awhile. They'll eventually leave.

I've had more wear problems from cheap guide bars or cheap chain than any cheap oil I've ever run.

Not to name drop but I've got an EBay, El-Cheapo special B&C on my MS180.
The chain stretches and bar feathers worse than anything I've ever run.
For the price I don't flinch putting it into some roots so I guess that's a good thing.

Untitled2.jpg

Hello group,
I use an oil not from retail it's a commercial product.
I'm an LTL truck driver and have a customer who make a fantastic oil for the industry and he gives me gallons of it for free, he has both a winter and summer blend. I noticed a familiar smell from it so I asked if it was an automotive friction modifier like you used in differentials. No response just a look

I like the people that pour used motor oil in their saws. What a mess. :crazy2:

It didn’t take me long to figure out what I saved using used motor oil for bar oil I spent what I saved on new bars, remember the moto pay me now or pay me later. Either way we pay.

The best bar oil I ever used was machine way oil. It’s Mobil vactra for machine tools, it’s very expensive and tacky. I had a source and got enough to test it. My saw was happy, happy, happy as the duck master would say. Lol

Back