Recommendations for easier carrying of rounds/splits.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsp3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for some suggestions/recommendations to make moving rounds and splits from the ground into a small trailer or a wood pile easier on my 78 year old father. I do as much as I possibly can but he definitely won't stop when I'm not there. The response when I ask is always the same, "Who cares if it hurts, I'll stop when I'm dead." Unfortunately due to large rocks/mud and terrain pulling most logs out with a tractor is usually an impossibility, so they are cut where they fell. It's a big enough pain getting in there with the 4 wheeler and wagon. Is there anything you older guys out there use to help move wood around that you'd never again be without?

Log tongs. 12 and 8 inch in the picture. Definitely back savers and can carry with both hands and well balanced. I won't firewood without em.
21c519ba3623540de60cc10427b56a9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I wonder where you can get those replaceable tips from for the pulp hooks, I don't see them at Bailey's; I wonder if they'll come back in stock along with pulp hooks when they get them. Does anyone know who the company is that actually makes them? I have a Husky dealer down the road, I'll see if I can stop in tomorrow and see what he has.

For lifting rounds off the ground, loading onto a trailer or pickup or whatever, I use a picaroon. I'm perfectly capable of bending down to pick stuff up, but swinging a picaroon into a round or a chunk and hefting it that way keeps my back straight, no need to bend over double. Much less stress on the back. It's like adding 3 1/2' to your arm's reach. It's a tool I would not be without.

Great also for unloading. When you stand at the rear of a pickup bed, the picaroon allows access to stuff way up front in the bed that otherwise you have to walk around several times to get hold of.

I’ve had good luck with this homemade Hookaroon. I’ll stick a round and just drag it to the trailer. Then using the handle I just swing it on the trailer. For heavy rounds I lift using two hands. One on the handle and the other on the forward spike. Only problem I’ve had is not sticking the Hookaroon deep into the round for lifting. Ok for dragging but not good for lifting . I’m 2 years younger than your father so it is a doable task. I always have that Hookaroon with me. Pick up splits also, and drag long logs. I need to make a shorter one for using around splitter.

C3C98EA8-DCD9-445B-9833-0DB105B287D4.jpeg

ETpilot, that's an interesting homemade job, kind of looks like you used railroad spikes. Lifting really isn't a problem for the old man, considering his age he's ridiculously strong; it's the bending over and kneeling down that get him. We have a 5x8 trailer with a ramp, unfortunately it's way to big to pull through our woods. Half the time we can't even get the log splitter to where the trees are. I think I'll pick up a set of tongs and a couple different pickaroon head styles from Peavey and play around with different handle lengths to see if I can't find him a good combination.

Yes, my Hookaroon is made from railroad spikes. Aside from lifting and dragging I use it to push and pry. Whatever I can do with it. And most importantly I stick it in the ground so it is alway easy to find and easy to grab. Not much bending over and very limited kneeling while using it. Most bending is for lifting heavy rounds. Very useful tool. You should get one. You will like it. My little trailer, made for another purpose, is just 4x6. Wish it were larger now. But I have a tractor with loader and forks for really larger stuff.

Log tongs. 12 and 8 inch in the picture. Definitely back savers and can carry with both hands and well balanced. I won't firewood without em.
21c519ba3623540de60cc10427b56a9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Agreed, probably my most used tool. I've dragged 10' long by 18" wide logs downhill with the big ones. Mine were made by Wetterlings.

Hi,

I'm looking for some suggestions/recommendations to make moving rounds and splits from the ground into a small trailer or a wood pile easier on my 78 year old father. The response when I ask is always the same, "Who cares if it hurts, I'll stop when I'm dead." Is there anything you older guys out there use to help move wood around that you'd never again be without?

sounds a bit like a Catch-22 situation to me. time will tell. I do like my aluminum ramps for rolling bigger chunks up into trailer and/or up onto splitting bar's I-beam.

smaller chunks; diam and length
smaller piles

>Is there anything you older guys out there use to help move wood around that you'd never again be without?

:givebeer:

I’ve had good luck with this homemade Hookaroon. I’ll stick a round and just drag it to the trailer. Then using the handle I just swing it on the trailer. For heavy rounds I lift using two hands. One on the handle and the other on the forward spike. Only problem I’ve had is not sticking the Hookaroon deep into the round for lifting. Ok for dragging but not good for lifting . I’m 2 years younger than your father so it is a doable task. I always have that Hookaroon with me. Pick up splits also, and drag long logs. I need to make a shorter one for using around splitter.

View attachment 797392

Maybe you could take a grinder and remove some material away from just behind the tip to make it like a barb so it will stay in the wood better. Nice use of a railroad spike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a pair of these from Amazon. They make moving rounds, etc. much easier out of my tough terrain. They make a 20" version as well as I recall.

Timber Tuff TMW-32 16-Inch Timber Claw, Green
by Timber Tuff
61rO5rSASyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have 2 of those if they work OK but not really good for me and only on proper length wood the 16 inch work from about 15-18 inches.
I spent too much time fighting with them to be happy with them
the concept is good and someone may make a good set but with most things timber tuff the execution is lacking.

I prefer the Husquavarna tongs https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-5743876-01-Lifting-Timber-Carrier/dp/B0037W8YEM
I give them a shot of dry lube in the joints in each season and they are working well , if you can't lift it with the Husky tongs you should noodle it down before you give your self a hurnia

a pickaroon is also handy again I like 2 so that I can get a round in each hand

the bonus on the timber tongs is you can pick up a lot of wood from the snow without getting cold wet gloves
I run 2 so that I keep balanced , a 50 pound round in each hand

Back