Recommendations for quality Electric Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomhawkins

Reaction score
Brother has 3 Stihl 170 saws for his Christmas Tree operation that worked well.

The only complaint was about noise from a neighbor when the trees get a fresh cut before going out.

The cashier booth has it's own electric utility meter and I was thinking a quality electric might be an answer?

Worx, Remington, and Black+Decker show electric chainsaws in their catalogs.

PS... we were given two of the cheap electric saw and killed both the same week... sold over 1000 trees to give an idea of volume.

It's here my interested: Worx WG303.1 and Black+Decker LCS1020 Chainsaw

If you're a Worx and Black+Decker owner, would like to hear your experience with the extendable Worx and Black+Deckers durability and how they compare to other chainsaws you've tried.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

@pioneerguy600 is right on. You are a commercial operation and will be very hard on homeowner grade saws. But pro electric chainsaws are still less expensive than pro gas saws.

Visit a Home Depot and look at what they sell; then visit their rental department and see what they rent: Makita. I have a few of their older models and love them. Simple. Powerful. Quiet.

IMG_2541.jpg

Have heard good things about STIHL electric saws, but have not personally used one.

Philbert

I'm down to about a dozen corded, electric saws now. Some are cheap, but I have limited expectations of them, just as I would a cheap gas saw. For commercial work, I would go with one of the ones mentioned.

Lots of threads on these. This one has several links inside of it where you can browse other opinions as well.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/electric-chainsaws.285663/

Philbert

Just asking the question and throwing out the idea.

Christmas trees.... is a 14" bar even remotely necessary? Puting on a 10" or an 8" bar would definitely ease the load on the motor (assuming they can be found this short).

My question is would it be enough to make a noticeable difference in performance and longevity compared to the stock 14" bar?

Christmas trees.... is a 14" bar even remotely necessary? Puting on a 10" or an 8" bar would definitely ease the load on the motor . . .

Depends if the tree is going to the White House or to Rockefeller Center!

The saw pictured is normally sold with a 16" bar (different model number), so this is the "shorter" bar.

It is a very comfortable, in-line saw to use, and the length of the bar will reduce reach. Has good balance. Also has more teeth on the chain to reduce time between sharpening.

Saws sold with shorter bars will typically have s less powerful, and less durable, motor.

I run mine with PowerSharp chain, but that is a separate thread!

Philbert

I am actually addicted to Electric chainsaws. Because they are powerful. Which one is electric chainsaw do you use?

The only complaint was about noise from a neighbor when the trees get a fresh cut before going out.

The cashier booth has it's own electric utility meter and I was thinking a quality electric might be an answer?

PS... we were given two of the cheap electric saw and killed both the same week... sold over 1000 trees to give an idea of volume.

If you're a Worx and Black+Decker owner, would like to hear your experience with the extendable Worx and Black+Deckers durability and how they compare to other chainsaws you've tried.

I am actually addicted to Electric chainsaws. Because they are powerful. Which one is electric chainsaw do you use?
I have the Stihl MSE 141, a lovely little saw, a pleasure to use for cutting firewood up to a foot (30 cm) diameter. I cut fallen trees on our rural property into lengths which can fit onto my trailer with petrol saws then haul them back home and cut them with the MSE into suitable size to fit into the wood heater.

The narrow kerf chain is short and therefore easy and quick to sharpen.

The saw has plenty of power.

The only negative is not knowing when the bar oil has run out. With a petrol saw when the fuel runs out one can check the amount of bar oil remaining but it is easy to just keep cutting and cutting with the electric saw before thinking of checking the oil.

One of the best aspects of electric or battery saws is when you stop cutting and put the saw down to move or stack wood it is not sitting there idling, and no need to pull the cord to get it started again.

I’d tell the neighbour to piss off, quite frankly.

If your brother has enough land for over 1000 trees, it’s clearly in a farming area. Noise is expected… We’re not talking about a 2 bedroom unit in a small complex with a communal back yard. A 170 is quite compared to what you could be running. Treat yourself to a ported and muffler modded 881 and drop him off some ear plugs for Christmas addressing him as “the grinch”

I've had several electrics, the Stihl mse 220 was the best saw period, with a magnesium case and 70cc power, though, a lot less less chain speed. It had dual clutch cover bolts and dual dogs. It is the only professional saw mentioned. It will run a 20" bar with real 3/8" pitch chain with power to spare. I personally think it could pull a longer bar, but it may not oil it suffiently.

The Stihl mse 180 was great for up to maybe 12" branches. It is also well made, but without a metal chassis.

The Makita 4030? has an adjustable speed feature which is nice. It has some metal in the chassis and other than the tools chain adjuster, is great and a 12" branch saw.

I have an older Echo which claims a ridiculous 3.25 horsepower. It is ok , just not as high quality as the other mentioned. It is also the lightest by far. I'd say 8" branch maximum.

I do much prefer my 36 volt Makita battery saw as it is much more convient, and made as well as the Makita electric and the Stihl mse 180 and about the same power. 12" branch maximum.

I do have a Stihl E30, but do not have 3 phase electricity or an adapter to try it out. It can run up to a 4 foot bar with 1/2" pitch chain. It also weighs around 50 lbs.

Back