Recommended A/M Top End?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firewood Bandit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Trying to help a friend who straight gassed his 562 (2018 model year). I tried to bring the cylinder back but I'm not satisfied with the result so I'm looking for a piston and cylinder. What is your recommendation for an AM supplier of a piston and cylinder for a 562 that ships to Canada. Not having much luck with eBay / amazon.

Thanks!

Good luck, I'll never buy a used Husqvarna saw that's for sure.

I was quoted (260 pro)

375 USD for OEM stihl piston, cylinder and circlips.

27 USD for ORM rings

14 USD for OEM top end bearing.

It was too much.

Just got a metor piston in today with caber rings, looks mint!

Not sure what this has to do with a 562?

Stihl top ends are always much more expensive than Husqvarna. An oem 562 top end can de had for $150 or a little less.

Use OEM.

The thing with a lot of these AM kits is that once you put them on, you don’t actually have the saw you had before. You have some other thing, generally inferior in all respects, that happens to be built on a particular saw chassis. So if you want to have a running 562, put 562 guts back into it.

Think about it - if you blew the motor in your F250 Powerstroke and replaced the engine with an air cooled V-4 Wisconsin motor, would you still really have an F250 anymore?

Not sure what this has to do with a 562?

Stihl top ends are always much more expensive than Husqvarna. An oem 562 top end can de had for $150 or a little less.
I didn’t know they were THAT much different!!:eek: I thought it may have been helpful as a rough ball park figure:confused:

Well this has just reinforced my stay away from stihl feeling. Thank you guys
Stihls can still be built on the cheap, you just have to pick the right deal. As with Huskys, or any brand, it all depends on your starting point. If you're cleaning up cylinders and using Meteor pistons it's pretty close cost-wise. If you have a solid dealer for your parts.

Stihls can still be built on the cheap, you just have to pick the right deal. As with Huskys, or any brand, it all depends on your starting point. If you're cleaning up cylinders and using Meteor pistons it's pretty close cost-wise. If you have a solid dealer for your parts.

So is the whole aftermarket thing is that across the board? Or some saws have better support than others? I remember watching a YouTube video of a guy going through a bunch of 346 cylinders and some he was really happy with. Can't for the life of me remember who it was and what brands were good

So is the whole aftermarket thing is that across the board? Or some saws have better support than others? I remember watching a YouTube video of a guy going through a bunch of 346 cylinders and some he was really happy with. Can't for the life of me remember who it was and what brands were good
There are a few series of saws from all of the major mfrs that have a lot of AM support. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is up to you. With very few exceptions, I purchase projects with re-building with all OEM parts in the budget. This means I turn a lot of stuff down, and I work for free or less on a saw that I REALLY have to have(usually something red). Luckily this is a hobby for me, not an income source, so I have a lot of flexibility when I want it.

There are a few series of saws from all of the major mfrs that have a lot of AM support. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is up to you. With very few exceptions, I purchase projects with re-building with all OEM parts in the budget. This means I turn a lot of stuff down, and I work for free or less on a saw that I REALLY have to have(usually something red). Luckily this is a hobby for me, not an income source, so I have a lot of flexibility when I want it.

Righto cheers for that:) I'm after a 266/268/272 1 day and a 281/288 so will help me choose the right one. I enjoy fixing saws too perfect relaxation/therapy

That was @Mattyo. Some of the AM cylinders are decent. But for a new 5 series saw I wouldn’t risk it.

Back