Red and white oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I both love and hate the smell of red oak. It's a great firewood and there are so many red oaks around here that it's usually 80-90% of my firewood mix. The rest usually being maple. But, man, that smell is nauseating. (Good hinge on that stump by the way...). Where did the blue covers come from on the Stihl?

I painted them. Red green color blind. I ran over 1 too many saws in the woods to not paint everything blue.

Thanks for the compliment. I tend to dip the bar when I was the 32 on it and over compensated resulting in the back cut being a little high on the low side.

The red oak was bigger than the 32 and power head. Had a heavy lean and it let go before I finished my back cut leaving a big center post in addition to the 7-8" hinge

I painted them. Red green color blind. I ran over 1 too many saws in the woods to not paint everything blue.

Thanks for the compliment. I tend to dip the bar when I was the 32 on it and over compensated resulting in the back cut being a little high on the low side.

The red oak was bigger than the 32 and power head. Had a heavy lean and it let go before I finished my back cut leaving a big center post in addition to the 7-8" hinge
What length bar is it?
Just so we can get an idea of the scale of that tree.

Nice.
Decent sized Oak then.
That should be a fair bit of firewood right there.
I dropped two good sized Red Oaks last Fall for a carport build on my property.
Gave me some nice milling logs and lots of firewood too.
Have any more pics of the tree down on the ground?
P_20180506_071305.jpg
P_20190715_122408.jpg

Does that mean both colours look the same to you or are switched or what? Colour blindness has always confused me.

Not really. It confuses me too. I can tell you what is what but I lose orange and reds in green and the other way around. If you show me whatever is orange in the grass ( golf ball) I can see it and tell the difference, but I'll never find it on my own lol. It's also hard for me to tell dark green and browns apart, and purple and dark blue.

Nice.
Decent sized Oak then.
That should be a fair bit of firewood right there.
I dropped two good sized Red Oaks last Fall for a carport build on my property.
Gave me some nice milling logs and lots of firewood too.
Have any more pics of the tree down on the ground?
View attachment 833688
View attachment 833689
Alas, I dont right now. The white oak we hustled and bucked up and git it home. The red I just put down before the rain. It's super soupy in this area and that was the first time we could get to them in aawhile. We got 7 inches of rain the next day. We wont be able to bet to them for weeks now. I can satiate your desire with a downed cottonwood I dropped last winter though and a different red oak that was big

Attachments

• 20190723_145612.jpg
    20190723_145612.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20190306_122311.jpg
    20190306_122311.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
The smell of wet red oak and black ash are both pungent and overwhelming yet satisfying at the same time.

The neighbor gave me two good sized (for up here) red oaks around 20-24” each. Will drop them as time allows. Since I’m too late to scrounge for this years wood, they will be for next year.

Not really. It confuses me too. I can tell you what is what but I lose orange and reds in green and the other way around. If you show me whatever is orange in the grass ( golf ball) I can see it and tell the difference, but I'll never find it on my own lol. It's also hard for me to tell dark green and browns apart, and purple and dark blue.

Interesting how these little problems have odd consequences. I went deaf in my right ear 12 years ago, and now I can't tell the direction of sound. When the phone rings and it's not in my pocket, I really struggle to find it. I usually need help.
Good idea to paint stuff blue. I'll have to do that with a few of my things. Most every other color can be the color of what's on the ground at some point in the year - green, yellow, brown, red, orange, white, black.... But blue is a perfect contrast to all of them.

Back