Red Bumps on Maple Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beth Davis

Reaction score
This spring small red egg like protrusions appeared on our red maple. We thought they were eggs and treated for insects. The red protursions turned green and are growing like warts. Any ideas what it is and how to make it go away?

Beth,
Are they located on the leaves, branches, or trunk? It sounds like it may be galls.

Yup, Galls they are. Figured it out after spending some more time on line. The tree is relatively young (5 - 6 years) and everything I find says there much to be done about it. Any advice?

Beth,
If they are on the leaves or smaller twigs, they can be clipped off if the trees aren't too big. They don't really present any long-term problems for most trees. They often occur in cycles and nature seems to take care of them before they can do much damage.

Thank you, both. I'll just take a pill and chill out and maybe pluck a leave or 10.

blessings, beth

It can get quite unsightly. The critters overwinter in cracks in the bark and in the duff under the tree. I've seen mention of both dormant oil and lime-sulfur for killing the bugs, but not from a source I consider authoritative. Given that I've seen maples on lists for being intolerant of dormant oil, I would hesitate.

Back