Red Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a guy call me and said he had a couple of trees down in his yard and ask if i wanted them. I ask what they were and he said one was an oak and the other he didn't know.

I just went and looked at them, The oak is a monster, It's gotta be 50 inches at the base. A huge old tree. Someone has been cutting on it but there is probably five to seven truckloads left.

Now the other one is a red elm, I brought a piece home to split, It busted good with the maul. This is a pretty big tree too. The only elm i've ever messed with was white in the center and would not bust with a maul. Also dried out top aper lightweight.

This elm is kinda reddish, My question is this worth getting, It will be a couple years before it is burned. Will it keep it's weight and not dry out like willow. If it gets light and burns like a pine log, I won't fool with it. Cause the oak is gonna take me a while to cut.

I know some of you have cut these kind of elms before. Just wondering if it was worth the trouble especially since i have a lot of oak to cut. Both these trees were blowed of by Tornado's abouth a month ago.

Thanks
Rick

Red elm splits easy with a maul... It will last forever as long as it is kept off of the ground... One of my favorite wood to burn when dry... Puts out a very nice blue flame..

Two 6" rounds will burn alnight in my stove and leave better coals than most wood that fills the firebox with ash..

Most of the ones I cut are dead standing and are already mostly seasoned.. They are very dense when dry...

Two 6" rounds will burn alnight in my stove and leave better coals than most wood that fills the firebox with ash..

Most of the ones I cut are dead standing and are already mostly seasoned.. They are very dense when dry...
Thanks Sean, That's the info i was lookin for. I will post pics of both when i start cutting. maybe this weekend before i can get to it.

What them guys said x2. I burn a lot of elm, mostly American but some red also. It can be dripping wet if cut green, but dries well after splitting, and as you found out, doesn't split near as bad as the other elms. It'll keep well, and leaves coals like no other wood I burn.

Git-r-dun!

I will get it, The oak is going to be a little more difficult as it is in the middle of a house. The house is an old home and completely destroyed. I said 5 to 7 truckloads but there is probably a whole lot more than that.

The trunk itself is probably five truckloads. These trees are old virgin trees planted many years ago, The name of the town is Lonoke. There are a lot of huge oaks in this area.

My saw may not be enough to cut the trunk of the oak anyways, All i have is a 25 inch bar. I will take some pics of the trees and you can see how big they are next time i go over there.

It looks like this one, It's not quite as big though.

red_elm_at_7th___mall__4_.JPG

I tell ya, That oak needs an 660 for sure. It's going to take at least a 40 inch bar and you will have to cut both sides with that.

I bet you could make it with a 40" bar cutting from one side. That four footer I cut up the other week I made in one cut with a 32" bar.

Hey SS I bet the lipstick saw could cut thru that oak and elm:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:. I would get the elm for sure thats goos stuff right there.

Beefie

Holy hell, I'd be takin both them trees! Like the other guys said the elm is some primo burning! :rock:

Get over there and get some pics. Maybe AF will go over with the 390 when he see's how big it is.

:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back