Red Eye Gravy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not really sure what you would call country gravy, but red eye gravy is much thinner than what I would call country gravy. It is more the consistency of Au jus that would be served with a Prime Rib, a very thin watery consistency.(almost looks like greasy coffee)
Very good stuff none the less. Primarily used to loosen up your grits, y'all got those?Also good for biscuit soppin, but never poured over a biscuit due to rendering it a soggy mess. I have had a hard time find the country ham required to manufacture REG west of the Mississippi, is it readily available in your area? Another favorite ( although not mine) is chocolate gravy, it takes all kinds...

Well I grew up in northern MN and there is not any "down home cookin" going on up there. The Slavic immigrants brought some really good sausage recipes but most of the Nordic cooking is pretty bland.

I'm spending the winter in north Florida and there's lots of good food like grits here :rock:

Love the red eye gravy over biscuits, mom used to make it with sausage grease, just add milk instead of coffee. Now chocolate gravy and biscuits for breakfast was a real treat. I've trucked all over the US and the only place I found chocolate gravy was at Browns Country store and restaurant in Benton Ar., stopped in every chance I got.

On that note I've traditionally made sausage gravy but see everyone making bacon gravy on a cooking site I've found. Definitely on my list of things to make once I'm off the low carb diet!!!!

What kind of ham does it need? I know the one restaurant here orders straight from NC.
Country Ham is what's required. If you're still in Florida you should be able to find it in the grocery stores there.
They will be hanging in a cloth bag or sliced in the meat counter. Country ham is by far the best biscuit ham, smoke and salt cured. If by chance you are driving home and somehow get lost in N. Georgia "The Dillard House" is an excellent place to eat and they have a mail order system for aquiring the aforementioned Ham's and other good stuff.
http://www.dillardhousegiftbook.com/shop-by-occasion/thanksgiving/country-hams.html
That's in Rabun county, right side of the river in the movie Deliverance, so if you go don't wonder around in the woods by yourself...

Country Ham is what's required. If you're still in Florida you should be able to find it in the grocery stores there.
They will be hanging in a cloth bag or sliced in the meat counter. Country ham is by far the best biscuit ham, smoke and salt cured. If by chance you are driving home and somehow get lost in N. Georgia "The Dillard House" is an excellent place to eat and they have a mail order system for aquiring the aforementioned Ham's and other good stuff.
http://www.dillardhousegiftbook.com/shop-by-occasion/thanksgiving/country-hams.html
That's in Rabun county, right side of the river in the movie Deliverance, so if you go don't wonder around in the woods by yourself...
My uncle lives in far western NC right where GA, NC, and TN meet. When I drive up there this spring I'll go through western GA

Love the red eye gravy over biscuits, mom used to make it with sausage grease, just add milk instead of coffee. Now chocolate gravy and biscuits for breakfast was a real treat. I've trucked all over the US and the only place I found chocolate gravy was at Browns Country store and restaurant in Benton Ar., stopped in every chance I got.
While I am sure it was good stuff (especially since it was your mother's) I don't believe that would qualify as red eye gravy . The coffee is required, I assume that is where the name came from. Generally made with the leftover drippings from the country ham (cooked in cast iron preferably) little butter and coffee, that's why I say it's not ideal for pouring over your biscuits, but excellent for sopping up a mess of goodness...

My uncle lives in far western NC right where GA, NC, and TN meet. When I drive up there this spring I'll go through western GA[/QUOTE
That's the neck of the woods I am from, right across the river in SC. Oconee county, it borders NC to the north and GA to the West. The Dillard House is a family style restaurant. I'm not sure if that something that everyone does or if it a southern thing. I would have thought everyone had country ham or Dukes mayonnaise which is the best mayo out there. Once I moved and realized that you couldn't get it everywhere I had to resort to my father in law mailing me a case at a time, either that or resort to a Smokey and the bandit style run to get it across the Mississippi.
If you're not familiar family style restaurants basically bring it all to your table, like your own personal buffet, and you request refills as required!
Now look what you have gone and done, I just ate a couple of hours ago and now I'm craving country ham grits and eggs and red eye gravy! Where's my wife...

The only place they serve family style up north is a few Italian restaurants. I'm fine with it even if I don't know other folks.

We've been to the hibachi which is more or less family style too. Basically 12 people in a half circle around the chef. Funny thing there is nobody ever makes conversation or even eye contact with anyone but their date.

The only place they serve family style up north is a few Italian restaurants. I'm fine with it even if I don't know other folks.

We've been to the hibachi which is more or less family style too. Basically 12 people in a half circle around the chef. Funny thing there is nobody ever makes conversation or even eye contact with anyone but their date.

You get your own table, even if you're alone, but it always helps to have backup when there's that much good food!

Read this today and had to give it a try. Didn't have any ham in the house so i used bacon instead.

Fried taters and red eye gravy.

Attachments

• IMG_20180127_171217945.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20180127_171226336.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20180127_171505429.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back