Red Maple Tree only growing from base of trunk. Advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManitobaAcreage

Reaction score
Hello,

This tree was transplanted about 2 years ago. Up until this year it was fully leafed out in the summer and appeared healthy. Last year we did have a late season drought and, though the tree appeared well, I suspect it was quite dehydrated by season's end. I was not watering it through this time out of ignorance. We also had a minimal snowpack over the winter, and this is the result now. I've been soaking the ground regularly as rain has still been minimal. The upper buds seem brittle, and the branches do not "flex" or bend well.

Any recommendations? Can I save this tree? Should I cut it back and allow the new growth to form a new crown? Or is there a chance it will recover still?

Thank you.

IMG_0368[574].jpg

First off, place some mulch around the base of the tree. Does a couple of things, keeps the soil moist and the roots cooler, prevents tree damage from inattentive weed wacker operators and over time adds nutrients to the soil Wood chips are cheap and easy, don't us landscape fabric under it.

I would keep the 'dead' branches on there, just on the off chance that you get some epicormic budding. Prune them off later in the fall, when you know for sure they are dead.

Latest posts

Back