Red maple tree planting question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sullivan27

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a few red maples from Home Depot(I know not the best place to buy and after researching wish i didn’t). I’ve already put these in the ground and I think they’re to deep. There was a notch right at the soil level when they were in the pot. I’m assuming this is where is has been grafted? When planing do I need to locate the flare for best results? Also will this graft point go away as the tree grows or does it cause a weak point in the tree?

It's not too late to readjust the planting depth. Pull them up and replant according to the root flare.
As for the graft buldge a red maple won't have one unless you have a type of Japanese maple. Picture is always helpful.

I doubt its a graft unless it is labeled a graft. The notch is probably at soil level you are talking about and that is where it should be when you plant it. Tree roots have very fine and delicate root hairs on the roots that feed the tree. Just pulling them out of the ground without loosing the soil will damage them stunting growth and lowered survival rate.
Spread the roots down and outward , be sure not to J root or scrunch the roots in the new hole. The first year is critical, they need enough water . If the roots were not damaged and they were planted right the second year isn't so critical but they may need some help and will do better, the more help they get. Keeping the grass and weeds away from the root system, water, and proper fertilizing make a big difference in growth.

New planting depth and the knot I was talking about.

Attachments

• BF19EC71-7E97-4498-97C7-29B9C6C363DB.jpeg
    BF19EC71-7E97-4498-97C7-29B9C6C363DB.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 6B845802-0CA4-44D2-84A3-FA9330CB23FC.jpeg
    6B845802-0CA4-44D2-84A3-FA9330CB23FC.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DB38135E-A13F-46F5-8182-9932FE499CDF.jpeg
    DB38135E-A13F-46F5-8182-9932FE499CDF.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 28
Your good, planting depth is good. Pruning wound will close up with no problems. From the bark it looks like you have a Japanese maple not a red maple.

Replying because this interests me.
I have two Japanese maples that were both propagated by seed, one from a tree not on site and the other from my first tree.
Of those two, I have one each ground layered last fall.
I hope to replant the layered ones this fall.
None of mine are grafted.
The original mother tree was a beauty, not sure if grafted.

I might learn something here.

Back