Red maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage73

Reaction score
I planted this red maple about a year ago in my backyard of my newly constructed house. Today when cutting grass I noticed an open cavity that came out of no where It seems . I’m guessing it’s diseased , any help ? Thank you I’m advance

Attachments

• 4290642B-1E40-430A-AEBE-42130C437B50.jpeg
    4290642B-1E40-430A-AEBE-42130C437B50.jpeg
    573.8 KB · Views: 25
I’ve been seeing planted maples doing that very same thing over the past 20 years where I live. It never ends well. If that were my tree I would remove it and plant a river birch.

It looks to me like the tree was mechanically damaged, either at the nursery or during transport. It happened a few years ago, as indicated by the reaction wood growing on the margin of the wound. My guess, is that it was done in the spring, someting hit the bark and damaged the cambium. The bark hung on, but dried out and finally fell off.
It doesnt look like sun scald to me.
Having said all, i dont have local knowledge, so there may be something in your area going on, that i wouldnt know about. For example, some recommended replanting with a river birch, but i would never recommend a birch here due to bronze birch borer.

Latest posts

Back