Red Oak and Sugar Maple concerns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Reaction score
5 weeks ago I planted a red oak and a sugar maple. Since then I have watered them 3 times a week letting the hose run at the base of the trunk 5 minutes each time I water them. They began to produce quite a few small leaves shortly after planting them but then they stopped growing leaves about 2.5 weeks ago. Recently I noticed some of the smallest leaves are dying off and most leave growth has been stunted.

Is this a case of over watering the tree's or is there something else I should be aware of?

Me thinks they croaked. Yes, too much water will 'drown' the already-stressed roots, but sugar maples are hard to transplant at the best of times. Bareroot seedlings are very hard to get started. Red maple are easier, but sugar maples are ultimately a nicer and more stable tree. Red oak is tough too - they tend to take 2-3 years to adjust to a site before starting to put on normal leaders. If you try again, cut down on the water and provide some form of shade to lower the load on the roots. Good luck

Back