Red Oak - request comments on split size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fairly new to wood burning so I've learned a bit recently. I had 5 large red oaks to clean up, yard trees a buddy had cut down, three were 28" DBH. With this much work to do, splitting by hand, I was leaving fairly large splits, easily 6".

I found when I got my woodstove in early November, these large splits just don't burn well. They're still right at 20-21% even having been drying for 18mos.

So, now I spend maybe 30min every other night splitting these large splits into nice 4x4" type sizes and restacking them. They will burn at this size even being somewhat wet, and if I set them by the stove for a night the dry out significantly. I do put some of the large splits in overnight as they burn longer. Just reiterating what others have said, a variety is nice. There are plenty of crotches and knots to keep my supplied in larger 6-8" splits, I split any straight wood.

I Had some standing dead Oak that I cut split and stacked to regular size splits, not too big, no too small. Let it season for over a year thinking that would be enough. I brought some in to burn and they still sizzled and hissed. From now on any oak I process will get split to smaller pieces to help dry quicker. I am burning in a fireplace.

Back in the first page of this thread someone commented about my pile of splits that showed no bark. I mostly cut standing dead Red Oak after the bark has fallen off. But, today I was working on a nice Red Oak that was snapped off about 12' up the trunk by an early summer storm. So, I have a relatively green tree, with bark on. But, I have:

• A faithful companion
  • A naturally dropped Red Oak
  • Frozen ground for easy transport
  • Mid-20's for low sweat equity
  • An x27 still making nice splits
  • And no particular deadline
IMG_4850.jpg

The largest round I have split was 48" & green.
I never heard of curing wood until I was grown & then I was told it is something they do up north.
The only dry(cured) wood we used was dead before it hit the ground.
I am not saying you are wrong to cure your wood, we heated only with wood on the farm & 90% was green & burned just fine in the 100 year old chummy
of the farm house, which is still standing today.

Latest posts

Back