Red osier dogwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polish hammer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a field I want to have grow up and get thicker it is now just an open field and I have been planting spruce and pines and have noticed this spring that red dogwood is popping up in areas.. most the little bushes are about knee high if I trim them back at a young age will this help put growth on or with them being so small and young should I leave them for a few years? Maybe add some fertilizer?

Cutting them back once established can lead to a strong flush of growth. Generally used when older stems start to color fade and new emerging growth is bright red.

Yes, we took small, about 3-5" tip cuttings and put them in a soilless media with some sand in late winter. Don't recall if dipping in a rooting compound was necessary or not.

If they are popping up, you have the right conditions. Just wait.

Locally I don't have to prune dogwood. The deer (hoof rats) and moose do a good job for me. I like using them as a distraction from my pines.

IMO the easiest way to propagate Red Twig dogwood is to pull a a branch down to the ground from the bush and cover the branch with a mound of soil.Wait till next Spring and you should have some nice roots for transplanting.

Planting the seeds or using rooting hormone works too.

Red Twig dogwood blooming cr 800.jpg

Tips on doing this:

1. A geotextile staple, or a piece of bent burned coathanger wire will hold the branch down. You don't need as much dirt. If you burn the coat hanger wire, it has a rougher surface that holds better.

2. Partially splitting the branch, and putting a splinter to keep it open will create callous tissue that will differentiate into roots.

3. Rooting compound on the cut, will also speed things up.

Latest posts

Back