redbud tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My township gives out free trees twice a year. Three years ago I adopted a redbud. The overall shape of the tree was good but it had two main leads and I decided at that time to plant the tree as is and not remove one of the leads. The tree grew substantially last year two years. Each lead is about 2 inches in diameter towards the base.
The question is this: Should I remove one of leads literally cutting the tree in half? Even with literally half of the tree removed the tree will still have a good shape and I know in time will fill in.
Thanks! rb1.jpg rb2.jpg

I would. A fork like that WILL split in the future. Not any time soon...but as it gets bigger and heavier it will. Also, the longer to wait to do it the bigger the wound you will leave. Do it ASAP before the leaves come on. If you miss that window, wait until later summer/fall. Basically, the tree needs to use its reserve sugars to put out new leaves. You don't want it to make that "investment" then immediately loose half of the leaves. Doing it now means all of that "investment" goes to the half you are keeping (though, it has already sent up quite a bit of that into the stem for flowers and to get ready for leaves very soon...)

Your Township is giving away very poor quality Nursery stock. It's not in their self-interest as these defective trees will be in their immediate area.

I would cut the one on the left. It seems smaller and not as straight. I agree with what ATH said about the pruning period window.

Good luck! Hope you do it before the growing season so you can see the change, even in the first season.

Thanks for the responses.
I think I already knew the answer to my question but needed a little reinforcement/encouragement.
I removed the left half of the tree!

Back