Redmax g5000 or Husqvarna 455 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose-Factory

Reaction score
Hi, I was looking into getting a high end home saw for cutting down trees on my property (12-16" diameter, mostly), as well as cutting cords, etc.

I spoke to two dealers in a town nearby, one carrying Redmax and Dolmar, the other a Husqvarna dealer.

After describing my needs, the first dealer recommended the Redmax g5000 ($400), and the second dealer recomended the 455 rancher ($425).

How do these saws compare with eachother? which would you go for and why?

Looking on-line, I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews for the Redmax chainsaw brand- does anyone have experience with them? I'm looking for a high quality, good component machine in this price range that will last me a long time. Thank you!

Between those I would take the Redmax any day - the 455 just is way too heavy for its power, and has a "plastic" case.

Hi, I was looking into getting a high end home saw for cutting down trees on my property (12-16" diameter, mostly), as well as cutting cords, etc.

I spoke to two dealers in a town nearby, one carrying Redmax and Dolmar, the other a Husqvarna dealer.

After describing my needs, the first dealer recommended the Redmax g5000 ($400), and the second dealer recomended the 455 rancher ($425).

How do these saws compare with eachother? which would you go for and why?

Looking on-line, I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews for the Redmax chainsaw brand- does anyone have experience with them? I'm looking for a high quality, good component machine in this price range that will last me a long time. Thank you!

The 5000 Redmax is a pro grade saw. Used them in my logging /pulp operation for years. Gave them to guys that could kill any saw and the Redmax just refused to die. Sad day here when they went off the market. Just picked up one that was run over by a tractor and repaired it. Works great.

Husky 455 on the other hand is not a pro grade saw.

I know what my choice would be. Redmax all the way.

Sir, first off welcome to the site. Many great people here. As to the Husky 455, do not be put off buy the plastic case.This saw is a proven performer. Some may say that it weighs a bit more but the day that I am going to worry about a pound or two that will be the day I sell all my saws.I would ask the dealer to let you make a test cut on both saws. Again, welcome to the site, Ken

Here is what a few had to say about the 455.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/husqvarna/88155-husqvarna-455-rancher.html

Redmax most certainly. I'm biased though. I've used the 5000 a little. I was impressed with the power. I can't compare it to a 455 as I've never used one. But I know the quality of the 5000 and I can't imagine the 455 being any better. Most of my Redmax experience is on the 621 3800 and 4000. I'm still a Redmax dealer. I just don't push it anymore, because I'm impressed by the way they handle themsleves since Husqvarna bought them. But if you can get the 5000 go for it. They won't be around much longer I'm sure. The 621 and 3800 are already gone.

Absolutely the G5000. I wanted to keep this one after working on it, but it was my friend's only saw.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsT28noeuaU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsT28noeuaU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JvVP11ML4V0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JvVP11ML4V0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I've never used a Redmax to be very honest. I like my 455R though. Cut's anything I put in it's way, and NEVER had any problem's since I've owned it. Can't say it has ever felt "heavy" to me either.....but that's just me I think. Good luck.

I'm a dealer for both Husky and Red Max. I'd strongly recommend the 455 for a variety of reasons.

First, if you are cutting a lot of 12" to 16" wood, the extra displacement of the 455 is something you are going to wish you had. It has a lot more grunt in that size wood that the Red Max. Plus it is far better balanced with a 20" bar, and of course runs 3/8 chain.

Second, the negative opinions about the 455 that are prevelent on this site are due to the "enthusiast snobbery" that understandably exists on a forum such as this. (Same applies to the Stihl MS290). It's not a "pro" saw, it's power to weight doesn't measure up, and such baloney. Ask any Husky or Stihl shop, and you'll find that there are no additional problems to be concerned about due to plastic crankcases. Power wise, we put a modded muffler on one at a GTG last weekend and it blew our minds. Really woke up the saw to the point that we had to laugh about how close it was to all of the much better pro saws that we had there.

Third, the 455 is one dead on reliable saw. They run and run and run, and are relatively problem free. I'll admit: My initial impression when it came out and I took the first one out of the box was, "I hate this thing". But they have proven themselves to be a great saw for the money, and have grown on me in that regard.

Fourth, as Red Max continues to be absorbed into the Husky system, there are possible concerns about long term parts support for models that sold in small numbers and/or were not incorporated into the Husky line up. This is usually the case when one company buys another. Most Red Max parts, at least the more recent stuff, have been converted over to the Husqvarna parts numbering system. But many parts do not supercede up to a new Husqvarna number, so you have to wonder how long they will be around. The 455 sells in such large numbers that support will be there for as long as you own the saw.

I have never run the Redmax,but for what its worth I will relate my experiences with the 455.

After I lost all my saws in my divorce,the 455 was the first saw that I bought.
For over two years it was the only saw I had and could afford,but with that saw I cut on the average 80 cords of wood a year for sale, and 6 cords for my own use.During that time I never spent a single dime on the saw beyond simple maintenence items like chains,bars, and occasional fuel filters.That was over 6 years ago.

today,it is the only saw that I carry full time in my truck.It always starts,isnt picky about gas that has sat in the jug for six months,and is by far the most reliable saw I own except for maybe the 372 which is really picky about old gas.I run a 20 inch bar and .375 chain semi chisel on it and it pulls with plenty of power.

Sure,compared to my other saws it is a little slower.The 357XP will blow it in the ditch every time,but as far as ease of starting there is little comparison.The 455 starts on the second pull each and every time no matter what the temps are,easy to start after running it out of fuel,and is the perfect saw in my opinion for someone who wants a moderatly priced saw to get some work done.
Is it a pro grade saw?No,it is not.Forget about huge production if you are strapped for time.I hate to think about how many hours are on that saw, but it has paid for itself many times over.

The G5300 and GZ7000 are husky saws. And as far as buying one of the 455's. Compare the prices. Go to baileys and put a 20'' 455 in your cart. 414.95$. While it may be a good saw. I'd be willing to make a bet that a 5000 will out cut it. Not to mention you'd be saving yourself 100$ or so. If anyone can put that into motion I'd love to see it. Stock v Stock. or Mod v Mod. Hell I'll even put my 621 against some stihl 361's. ;)

The G5300 and GZ7000 are husky saws. And as far as buying one of the 455's. Compare the prices. Go to baileys and put a 20'' 455 in your cart. 414.95$. While it may be a good saw. I'd be willing to make a bet that a 5000 will out cut it. Not to mention you'd be saving yourself 100$ or so. If anyone can put that into motion I'd love to see it. Stock v Stock. or Mod v Mod. Hell I'll even put my 621 against some stihl 361's. ;)

Well there is a brilliant statement. The OP was wondering,
"I'm looking for a high quality, good component machine in this price range that will last me a long time." and you take off in a rant about what saw will out cut what. And,if that aint bad enough, you rant even further into what your 621 will do up against a 361.
There is far more to a saw than how fast it will cut,durability has got to be at the top of the list for anyone that doesnt want to buy disposable saws.

Spike I know your a dealer and a straight shooter, but I'd have to a say magnesium crank case will out last a plastic crankcase a hell of a lot longer, and I have seen quite a few plastic crankcase saws made by husky that have spun the bearings due to heat and stress not to mention some of the stihl models 025 or 250 come to mind. I can't say the same about the redmax g5000. Not trying to stir the pot, I'm sure the 455 is a good saw, but it still is in the homeowner bracket for a reason . The 5000 is a better saw and not just because it fits into the pro class. I know fellows that have used them all day long in 12" to 16" wood no problem there only complaint is that there not available here anymore. I personally don't pay attention to power to weight ratios or any of that crap .I do however agree that the availabilty of parts down the road could very well be a concern.

Last edited:

I believe the Redmax 5000 and 621 are rather old designs, that doesn't quite measure up with some newer pro saws, despite the Mag case - but I never used one, and probably never will....:popcorn::popcorn:

I believe the Redmax 5000 and 621 are rather old designs, that doesn't quite measure up with some newer pro saws, despite the Mag case - but I never used one, and probably never will....:popcorn::popcorn:

Lon had one that ran pretty good when it did run, it wasn't stock though. It was ahead of a stock 361 by a second or 2 IIRC. The 621 didn't seem like a bad saw but I'd take a 360/361 over it any day of the week. Seemed more like a toy than a saw.:D

The G5000 or 455? Ummm, not sure on that one. I know those 455s can take some abuse. If coming from a good dealer, I'd go for the 455.

Back