Redmax g5000 or Husqvarna 455 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a Redmax dealer. I can hook anyone up with parts for as long as they are available. I agree on the being afraid of finding parts. But they are forced to keep parts available for at least 7 years. If they stay popular I'm sure they will keep the parts coming. Not to mention the stock I already have. We have over 50 3800's out. Not to mention the 400's, 4000's, 4500's, 5000's, and 621's...Hell we even have 561 out there somewhere.

Plastic crankcase

Though the crankcase itself on the 455 is plastic there are metal inserts that house the bearings. The only negative design feature is that the fuel tank and crankcase are all one unit. If the fuel tank develops a leak, it means more work and $$.

....Third, the 455 is one dead on reliable saw. They run and run and run, and are relatively problem free. I'll admit: My initial impression when it came out and I took the first one out of the box was, "I hate this thing". But they have proven themselves to be a great saw for the money, and have grown on me in that regard....
Spike, do you think the 455 is more reliable than the saw it replaced, the 55?

I like the 455.I thought I made the Mistake of Trading my First one so I bought a new one few months ago.I ran about a 1/4 tank of gas thru it to make sure the carb was right and realized I like my Old 51/55 better.It's slightly Lighter and has more power than the 455 with a Muffler mod and Slightly Opened Ports.I would really like to try one of those redmax's.I'm afraid I would like it about as much as a Solo though.:confused: Don't get me wrong Solo makes Pretty good Equipment but Just isn't my cup of Tea.

Hell I thought this was a New Thread.

ICan't say it has ever felt "heavy" to me either...

My turn to rant...please forgive me.

You know why it doesn't feel heavy?

Because it only weighs 1.6 more than the Redmax, and only 1.2 lbs more than the ms261 it's most often compared to (which is professional saw btw).

It is not heavy.

I haven't used the Redmax but did own and use a 455 for a year until I traded it in on my 365. It's a great saw and I wish I could have found the extra cash to have kept it. Reliable as the day was long and cut great even with the safety chain I was using on it. I got mine new at the time with a sale price from Sears that got matched plus 10% from a big Box for $300. Man I really should have kept it. I'm sure one of the dealers on here can get you a good deal or if you buy from a local dealer just ask them what they can do for you. It made the 50cc Poulan Pro I had before it feel like a little kids toy. I'm sure the Poulan is a fine saw but there is a world of difference.

It may weigh a little more than a pro saw but will cost less and cut plenty of wood.

Is the G5000 a strato? I have one and love it, but I've never had it apart. When my Dad goes with me to cut, he always grabs the redmax, its his favorite saw.

The G5000 is not strato, those appeared to have the GZ designation. I wish they had put strato on the G5000 series and the larger G621 series.

I'll toss in another vote for the 455. Most of them we see are owned by commercial operators. About the only thing that ever goes wrong is the chain adjuster will strip after about 150 chains. Another thing to consider is that the autotune 455 is already out. Even if you do not get the AT version, the parts exist to convert yours. That will never be the case for the G5000. I am dying to get my hands on a 455 AT. I bet they are going to open a few eyes.

This would be a tough call for me, as I really like RedMax saws. That said, I'd have to go with the 455. I've used my Dad's and it is nice, and it's strato engined. Add in the availability of parts issue and it seems like the better choice.

Anybody in the last couple of days notice you're replying to a 2-1/2 year old thread?

just checkin':smile2:

-Sean

I believe the Redmax 5000 and 621 are rather old designs, that doesn't quite measure up with some newer pro saws, despite the Mag case - but I never used one, and probably never will....:popcorn::popcorn:

The 5000 has a good quad port cylinder, adjustable walbro carb, domed piston and a combustion chamber to match it. I would pick it over the 455 any day of the week.
The 5000 still used the old style rubber av mounts and the clutch cover was plastic. I will take the plastic clutch cover over a plastic crankcase any day.

Later
Dan

Latest posts

Back