Reducing waste

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Nowell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
how are you guys reducing your waste?

Are you guys making anything out of your first and side edging cuts?
Any tips on making these cuts as small as possible?

I really have a problem going out and leaving behind 4 boards with a live edge on each side... I just can’t see a use for them, thus the post. Maybe fence boards?

Wood stove fuel [emoji16]

It is definitely not a wast when used as that.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Yes... wow not sure how I missed that lol... hmmm is it too late to delete a post

:angry::dumb2::omg:

Hmmm well yes does anyone make anything out of them? Lol

I made at least 500 LF of fencing that after 15 years years still looks great. I had hundreds of Cedar boards and hundreds of Pine boards. I thought the Pine wood fall apart in just a few years, but no. I made 1x6x8' dog eared boards then two coats of oil redwood stain. Some boards are starting to show weathering now. Thanks

I've seen a few Cedar logs with limb stubs maybe 2-3 inches long left on, and mounted floor to ceiling, for a ball cap display rack. Shorter pieces mounted horizontal for coat and hat racks. I actually thought you were going to ask if anyone was using the new laser mills that make no kerf or saw dust. :cheers:

how are you guys reducing your waste?

Are you guys making anything out of your first and side edging cuts?
Any tips on making these cuts as small as possible?

I really have a problem going out and leaving behind 4 boards with a live edge on each side... I just can’t see a use for them, thus the post. Maybe fence boards?

I have used mine to make turning blanks for the lathe. The outside slabs if thick enough can yield a small bowl blank or I can sometimes get a 2 or 3in Square out to use for spindles. Otherwise it is in a pile beside the shop waiting to be charitably given to somebody for firewood.

Back