Redwoods,climbing and laws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Moss, that is one of the videos I was talking about. I also remember a poster a while back of a night scene of a Redwood and it was full of these lite up tree tents.

Oh ya, that was for a Smithsonian Magazine photo shoot, yet another permission climb.

Also take a look at the Pacific Tree Climbing Institute

A good friend, east coast arborist and his wife did an awesome climb with them on an old-growth doug fir, probably not over 300' but up in the 200's. Anything over 200' is plenty wonderful.
-AJ

I'm currently working on my degree in horticultural science, if some School or group is doing research on Redwoods and their reading this, they are welcome to contact me. (I have 600 yards of 10.5mm dynamic rock climbing rope) Thanks, Beastmaster

The research climbers I know about aren't too eager for assistance, that's a whole 'nother situation. Your best bet is try to organize a group climb with arborists in your area, someone is going to know about a good tree on private property in your area.

The dynamic rope isn't going to be too useful though for big tree climbing. Think in terms of a static rope for a long SRT entry then friction hitch climbing on your arborist rope once you're up there.

Good luck on your worthy quest!
-AJ

I stand corrected, was just looking at the Pacific Tree Climbing Institute's overnight expedition climbs, they'll put you in a 250'-300' doug fir, what's not to like about that? Their lead climber/guide/business owner is an arborist by trade, you'd be in very good hands.
-AJ

My take on climbing redwoods

Anywhere humans have ever explored they've ended up destroying what they've come to see. If you respect these trees stay out of them and admire them for what they are from the ground. Not everything in nature has to be conquered.

Anywhere humans have ever explored they've ended up destroying what they've come to see. If you respect these trees stay out of them and admire them for what they are from the ground. Not everything in nature has to be conquered.

Easy does it, no one's talking about conquering anything, we love trees and use non damaging "soft" technique. The best options being discussed here are permitted or with permission. Being up in trees is a very different perspective from being on the ground, the climber forms a relationship with the tree, it's a sure way to gain deeper respect for them. Responsible climbers practice leave no trace woods ethics and treat the forest and the trees with respect.
-AJ

You may have good intentions, so did malloy on everest and now it's covered in frozen turds, frozen climbers and oxygen bottles. John Wesley Powell had good intentions and now there's a huge monstrosity of a damn in his name. Guaranteed people will screw this up too. If you really respect the trees you'll leave them alone.

You may have good intentions, so did malloy on everest and now it's covered in frozen turds, frozen climbers and oxygen bottles. John Wesley Powell had good intentions and now there's a huge monstrosity of a damn in his name. Guaranteed people will screw this up too. If you really respect the trees you'll leave them alone.

I've yet to come across petrified bodies or oxygen bottles in the top of a forest tree, would be interesting though. Plenty of raccoon turds though. Majority of forest trees I've been in never had a climber and likely never will again, the impacts if any are significantly less than a windy day in March.

Are you referring to old-growth Coast Redwood in particular? Rec climbers aren't climbing the protected trees. There are many fine trees to climb in the forests, parks and yards all over the world, the climber impact is very very low.

In the rec climbing community we've been working really hard for many years to promote good wilderness/environmental ethics for rec climbers. Humans have always climbed trees and will continue to do so, best thing to do is encourage people to climb with the same consideration you'd want them to use when walking in the woods.

Soil compaction from tourist visitors on the ground is probably the greatest hazard to the famous old-growth giants, rec climbers are an insignificant blip on the long list of potential hazards to old-growth trees.
-AJ

I was just using everest as an analogy to show what can happen when large amounts of humans go anywhere. I've been working in trees for 10 years now and everytime I'm In one I always break something or knock some moss or lichen off branches or freak out the wildlife no matter how careful I am. Wind is a natural thing, climbing a tree, damaging it and freaking out the wildlife for ones own pleasure isn't.

I was just using everest as an analogy to show what can happen when large amounts of humans go anywhere. I've been working in trees for 10 years now and everytime I'm In one I always break something or knock some moss or lichen off branches or freak out the wildlife no matter how careful I am. Wind is a natural thing, climbing a tree, damaging it and freaking out the wildlife for ones own pleasure isn't.

Well, looking at it that way the only people who should ever climb trees are tree workers and researchers? I walk in the woods, I climb trees, there's no difference as far as I can tell. I try not to step on anything on the ground, flush any grouse, scare a deer, break any small shrubs, or crush moss and lichens, same for being in a tree. It is not for simple pleasure, being in nature is lifeblood for many of us. Trees in highly sensitive habitat should be protected. Whatever humans do, wherever they go they create impacts. It could be argued that the entire human race should jump off a cliff to save the planet.

It's more productive to argue for people to strive to reduce their impacts rather than claim that only certain groups of people should have the privilege to be in trees.
-AJ

It's a worthy discussion though, should people climb trees when they have no specific purpose beyond wanting to? Probably good to start a new thread about that. The original poster is simply inquiring as to how they can go about getting access to climb a big redwood. Fair enough question.
-AJ

With all do respect....

I am so sick and tired of the greenies blamming every environmental woe on mankind. I know I'm hitting the hornets nest here but tough. Climb the tree, have lunch in it while you're up there, take a nap, play a tune on your flute,...you get the idea. But enough of the namby pamby don't step on the grass nonsense. I'm all in favor of being a good steward of our natural resources. But the earth is here for us to utilise and enjoy.

With all do respect....

I am so sick and tired of the greenies blamming every environmental woe on mankind. I know I'm hitting the hornets nest here but tough. Climb the tree, have lunch in it while you're up there, take a nap, play a tune on your flute,...you get the idea. But enough of the namby pamby don't step on the grass nonsense. I'm all in favor of being a good steward of our natural resources. But the earth is here for us to utilise and enjoy.
+1

I was just thinking about the impact that properly ascending a tree does, compared to the damage and defacing that rock climbers do on their climbs, yet their allowed to do it in our parks. As far as danger, well you couldn't get me on half dome or El Captain.
A Tree is of course a living thing, but to me thats all the more reason to climb them. Dr. Shigo said you have to touch them to understand them.
Of course there is the challenge of the climb, but to be in the top of a several thousand year old giant, would be like being in the presents of God.
I come from an era where there wasn't so much regulation and stupid laws. Its hard for me to be respectful of some of them.
I did get to climb a 140ft red Cedar yesterday, kind of a mini redwood. 150ft is where the first branch is on some Redwoods. Beastmaster

Howdy,

Another question may be: who will go with you? Its easy to go for a drive and find a tree, but a climbing partner is needed before this can happen.

If you keep up with these inquiries, a partner will surface. Having good gear and experience using it in smaller trees will make you a desireable buddy that others will feel comfortable being around in tight situations.

Is the climbing partner going to be someone of greater or lesser experience? Will you have to save them, or will they be the one who saves your bacon? Preparation by climbing regularly with your buddies will bring the experience levels closer.

The telltale statement about dynamic line, which is unusable with ascenders in a free ascent in lengths over 100' or so, shows the desire is not as important as big tree climbing techniques. These techniques should be practiced in smaller trees.

Even static lines of 200-300' have stretch issues that can leave a person hanging without the ability to get enough tension to progress upward. Stretch can require that much more line be released than is believed to be necessary. When transfer from the stretched line to another line or a lanyard is attempted, either of the lines may end up too short. Translated, this means the climber is stuck and in need of being bailed out by another climber. Being stuck is a tight situation, and it basically means that the only way out is to freeclimb or cut the rope.

There have been situations where the climbers have arrived up in the top of the tree without their descent device. It's amazing, but it happens. A buddy can see stuff that can be addressed before dire straits set in.

I hope you find a good one.

Thanks for the reply Oxman. I mentioned that rope to see what feed back I would get. I figured there had to be a reason why static rope are used besides just making it a little easier. I just happened to have that other rope. The Company I work for also does Aircraft recovery, We purchased it to repeal down to a plane that hit the side of a mountain a while back.
I have been perfecting my SRT skills each week at work. I don't have to tell you what 300 feet of a suitable line cost that I would need to ascend a three hundred foot tree. I was hoping to use that dynamic line to save money.
I like to think I am a skilled climber, but a climb like this(redwood) uses many different and new tech. so I am researching and practicing on smaller, but similar climbs. Thanks for your incite.

You might find amusement from a page I wrote, which slightly evolves every half year or so.

http://www.mdvaden.com/redwood_climbing.shtml

Easy does it, no one's talking about conquering anything, we love trees and use non damaging "soft" technique. The best options being discussed here are permitted or with permission. Being up in trees is a very different perspective from being on the ground, the climber forms a relationship with the tree, it's a sure way to gain deeper respect for them. Responsible climbers practice leave no trace woods ethics and treat the forest and the trees with respect.
-AJ

I don't think "relationship" is the the word I'd use, or "respect", but would go with appreciation.

Its evident that a climber feels a sensation up in the tree, that's different from the sensation on the ground.

Up in the tree, you can feel the tree move and flex for example, and you can see a long ways in the distance. On the other hand, on the ground, one can see far more trees and micro-habitats: literally covering more ground.

In the top of an old broken conifer, the climber may find that the flavor of huckleberry growing in decay tastes sweeter or different in the exposure of sun. But its on the ground, where one sees where extra plants germinated and grew where collected fog dripped off the limbs to the earth.

:msp_smile:

Last edited:
I don't think "relationship" is the the word I'd use, or "respect", but would go with appreciation.

Ya, relationship is a challenging concept, implies something reciprocal. But it's still the best word I can come up with to describe what happens when you climb a challenging tree in the forest. When you're standing on the ground looking up at it there's a lot you can figure out and understand about the tree. Everything changes during the climb, you REALLY get to know the tree, every aspect of the form and structure is revealed, how it moves in the wind, what it sounds like etc. etc, how it makes you feel (extreme fear, no fear, something in between). After you're back on the ground and look up you're seeing it through completely different eyes. I guess that understanding is what I think of as "relationship". It's same for many things that people have "relationships" with that are considered inanimate: cars, guns, tools, mountains, boots, you name it. Trees are not inanimate of course so they lend themselves even more to a feeling of relationship once you get to know one. Climbing is not the only way to get there but it certainly moves the process along.
-AJ

Ya, relationship is a challenging concept, implies something reciprocal. But it's still the best word I can come up with to describe what happens when you climb a challenging tree in the forest. When you're standing on the ground looking up at it there's a lot you can figure out and understand about the tree. Everything changes during the climb, you REALLY get to know the tree, every aspect of the form and structure is revealed, how it moves in the wind, what it sounds like etc. etc, how it makes you feel (extreme fear, no fear, something in between). After you're back on the ground and look up you're seeing it through completely different eyes. I guess that understanding is what I think of as "relationship". It's same for many things that people have "relationships" with that are considered inanimate: cars, guns, tools, mountains, boots, you name it. Trees are not inanimate of course so they lend themselves even more to a feeling of relationship once you get to know one. Climbing is not the only way to get there but it certainly moves the process along.
-AJ

You came to mind the other day Moss.

I was climbing around hand and foot in two huge Japanese maples. Nothing monumental, but fun.

Anyhow, was thinking about you and your love for trees.

Latest posts

Back