Reliability: Husky vs. Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree to an extent.

The newer Stihl pro saws are still built a bit heavier than Husky's. The crankcase is a bit thicker not to mention the mag starter cover.

...and with Stihl, the simpler tuning (no rev limted coils) leads to less tuning "mistakes".

"The biggest problem with either brand is usually the abusive owners."

Excellent observation. With any peice of equipment, especially a chain saw, it should be kept in top condition to expect a full life expectancy out of it. Running with dirty air cleaners, carburetor set incorrectly, poor fuel quality, low quality 2 stroke mix, incorrect mix ratio, loose chain, overly tight chain, dull chain, etc, etc, can and will effect how well your saw serves you, and how long it lasts.

I was critisized a few weeks back for hand sharpening chains in the field. For over 30 years, I have been "touching" up my chains anytime they get dull, or when the saw is stopped briefly for fuel/bar oil. When you get proficient at it, it takes no longer to bring the chain to it's full cutting potential, as it did to type this.

The saw will respond by cutting more wood per rpm, without working it nearly as hard. In the big scheme of things the saws engine will provide a longer service life, and get more work done. IMHO, this completely offsets the couple of minutes lost taking the time to sharpen the chain in the field.

In contrast, I've seen guys piss around trying to change chains on an old stump, loosing parts in the sawdust, having trouble getting the tension screw repositioned for the new chain, etc, etc. Who's really spending more time doing what it this scenario?

Not trying to start a pissing contest over chains and sharpening them, etc, just trying to point out that there are other fringe benefits from keeping a chain razor sharp, like getting more life out of the saw as well.

I don't have a ton of experience with really new models from either Husky or Stihl, but the older models were pretty much on par with each other. They both made really good, and not so good models. Some guys favor one brand in particular over the other, much like some guys like Fords, and others like Chevrolets....but everyone knows Fords are just plain JUNK!....just kidding......Cliff

I agree to an extent.

The newer Stihl pro saws are still built a bit heavier than Husky's. The crankcase is a bit thicker not to mention the mag starter cover.

Just curious, as I own both Husky and Stihl as well as a Dolmar/Makita. Do you mean HEAVIER or MORE DURABLE? and, if as I suspect, you mean MORE DURABLE what is your factual basis (hearsay evidence being inadmissable) for the statement. I for one was quite surprised at how few Stihls I at least could identify as the saw of choice in AXMEN. I don't think anyone would suggest that those guys weren't interested in reliable saws.

Where abouts in the Adirondacks are you. I have had excellent reliability with the DOLMAR line of chain saws you might want to look me up and take a ride to Greenwich. Dolmar is the OLDEST GAS Chain saw manufacture in the world they are GERMAN saws and have a excellent rep.

Scott

I would have to agree. With the reports, it seems that Doomar is built just as well as a Stihl.:clap: Those 5100s look real nice.:chainsaw:

Just curious, as I own both Husky and Stihl as well as a Dolmar/Makita. Do you mean HEAVIER or MORE DURABLE? and, if as I suspect, you mean MORE DURABLE what is your factual basis (hearsay evidence being inadmissable) for the statement. I for one was quite surprised at how few Stihls I at least could identify as the saw of choice in AXMEN. I don't think anyone would suggest that those guys weren't interested in reliable saws.

We must not have been watching the same show. I saw one 385? and the rest were Stihl.......

I meant 'built heavier'. As in more material in the right places.

I base my 'assumption' on factual evidence in this area. Good family friends run a small excavation company and maintain a small fleet of about 10 saws. They had run Husky 372 and 385 models along with Stihl 044 and 066 models in the past. They consistenly had trouble with loose or missing screws on the Husky's. The Husky's also don't seem to tolerate as much tough use. They maintain the equipment, but sometimes riding around in a tri-axle dumptruck accidents happen.

They now run 440's, 441's and a single 660.

I have had my 394xp since 1990. It has never had any new parts put on it until recently, not even an air filter.

Last month it wasn't running quite right, and couldn't get it to running right. Took it to the local dealer, repaired it with a carb kit for $79 and some change, it runs like brand spanking new. He even said the compression was still in new specs.

By the way, after asking him about a new air filter, he said it didn't need it. lol

I'm certainly not a pro logger, but I have had several new bars and chains put on over the years. I always sharpen the chains down to a nub. I get all I can out of them.

Some of the local loggers around here I cut with say it sounds like a hot saw. I love it.

Hope this helps.

I meant 'built heavier'. As in more material in the right places.

I base my 'assumption' on factual evidence in this area. Good family friends run a small excavation company and maintain a small fleet of about 10 saws. They had run Husky 372 and 385 models along with Stihl 044 and 066 models in the past. They consistenly had trouble with loose or missing screws on the Husky's. The Husky's also don't seem to tolerate as much tough use. They maintain the equipment, but sometimes riding around in a tri-axle dumptruck accidents happen.

They now run 440's, 441's and a single 660.
Do you know what hearsay is?

Where abouts in the Adirondacks are you. I have had excellent reliability with the DOLMAR line of chain saws you might want to look me up and take a ride to Greenwich. Dolmar is the OLDEST GAS Chain saw manufacture in the world they are GERMAN saws and have a excellent rep.

Scott

Hey I know your shop, go past it when I'm down Saratoga way. I live near Glens Falls and can't say my real name but I'm an Allen originally from Allentown now live near West Mountain. Sell all my wood to Finch Pruyn. I'm not saying my real name cause I don't want people to know I'm goofing off on the internet, supposed to be working on the books. I think you have heard of the Allens. None of it is true.

Ran husky`s always replacing the electronic ignition module, bought stihl & havent had a problem since.

All you have to ask yourself is: What is the preferred Tree saw?

on the ground........I stick with Stihl!! I like to finish the job!

LXT................

Funny how Husky guys sway an arguement....

If I see things with my own eyes that's no hearsay. Just because my own hands weren't involved.

So, then what were you talking about your friend's experiences for? Once again, do you know what hearsay is?

So, then what were you talking about your friend's experiences for? Once again, do you know what hearsay is?

:dizzy:

That's right, you're the lawyer to be...

Like I said, if I see it with my own two eyes it's hardly hearsay.

Last edited:
:dizzy:

That's right, you're the lawyer to be...

Like I said, if I see it with my own two eyes it's hardly hearsay.
Can you please point out where you are talking about your experiences here and what you've seen with your own eyes?
Peacock said:
I base my 'assumption' on factual evidence in this area. Good family friends run a small excavation company and maintain a small fleet of about 10 saws. They had run Husky 372 and 385 models along with Stihl 044 and 066 models in the past. They consistenly had trouble with loose or missing screws on the Husky's. The Husky's also don't seem to tolerate as much tough use. They maintain the equipment, but sometimes riding around in a tri-axle dumptruck accidents happen. (emphasis added)

Hearsay, I hear em all say...........BUY STIHL!!!

LXT..........

Can you please point out where you are talking about your experiences here and what you've seen with your own eyes?

Because I've seen, and even used the saws in question?

Because I've helped them on odd jobs?

I only stated that my own hands weren't involved because the saws didn't fail with ME running them.

You'll try pretty hard to make an argument work in your favor huh?

Back