Reliable chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man that question is a bomb ready to go off. lol
For what it's worth, I have had several ms290 and they have been rock solid and dependable. I think they are still $399.00
But if you want to spend a little more money, I have a ms262c that has been just as reliable and is a little lighter then the ms290 but still has about the same power. but it runs about $800.00
I'm sure there are many great saws, but this is what I run.

There are a lot of Beautiful places in this country, and the PNW, isn’t lacking any in that regard

That is Gorgeous, Northman, where about is that?

Doug :cheers:
Darrington WA, pic was taken from the Sauk bridge east of town, but that mountain dominates everything around it, Whitehorse mt....

it's not even the tallest in the immediate area. but it is home to the lowest elevation. ice pack in the continental US, and has a glacier hanging out on top

What is the difference between too handle and rear handle and why are the top handle so much more expensive?

Man that question is a bomb ready to go off. lol
For what it's worth, I have had several ms290 and they have been rock solid and dependable. I think they are still $399.00
But if you want to spend a little more money, I have a ms262c that has been just as reliable and is a little lighter then the ms290 but still has about the same power. but it runs about $800.00
I'm sure there are many great saws, but this is what I run.
What size is the ms290? Cc

What is the difference between too handle and rear handle and why are the top handle so much more expensive?
top handle saws are specialty type saw , limbing branch's while off the ground in a bucket is one example . Arborists routinely use top handle saw since they are light with shorter bars . You require a mid size saw within 60-70 c.c. range for the type of wood you have indicated you intend to routinely cut . I believe you will have to simply go to a Echo , Stihl or Husky dealer to view and try some mid size saws in wood . You have been given accurate advice from some pretty knowledgeable members good luck ! :drinkingcoffee:

top handle saws are specialty type saw , limbing branch's while off the ground in a bucket is one example . Arborists routinely use top handle saw since they are light with shorter bars . You require a mid size saw within 60-70 c.c. range for the type of wood you have indicated you intend to routinely cut . I believe you will have to simply go to a Echo , Stihl or Husky dealer to view and try some mid size saws in wood . You have been given accurate advice from some pretty knowledgeable members good luck ! :drinkingcoffee:
Yes I have and it's much appreciated. One nearby dealer carries Stihl and Echo. I plan to make a visit soon. Thanks again

So I've read a 4 pages of posts, and have quite frankly have been amazed at the animosity shown towards husqy saws. I'm not a brand snob. I have a bit of everything. I find my stihl and husqys most reliable. All three mfgs mentioned make cheap homeowner saws. All that would burn up with the type of work the op intends to do. Any of the pro model says would work great. In the 70 cc range a stihl ms440 or husqy 372xp would be great saws. Because of a bad dealer weve switched to husqy for saws and echo for smaller equipment. For what it's worth I prefer husqy for normal saw work, and have a stihl ms192t for my climbing work. Keep your options open, and use a good dealer. Any saw is trash if theres no support for it.

yep wow this thing is kickin some ass today... is a pretty good sign its about to seize

a 2 stroke runs its best on the thin line between its a little smoking and boy howdy she's gettin er today...

and it don't take much to go too lean, round here altitude changes alone can blow a saw up if your not careful, especially if your running modified saws.

I'm sorry but the mountains you folks have in Ireland are really kinda funny for me... the fact a few folks are impressed by being able to climb em in a day and be back for dinner at the pub endlessly amusing... its an overnight adventure on the little ones here... taken your life in your hands for Rainier/Baker/Glacier or a multitude of others in the wilderness areas... and we likely won't bother sending search and rescue for at least 24 hours after you don't arrive... and they may never find your body lol... loggers will though, course samesies for the East coast guys... blue/smokey/Adirondacks... funny shizz
Mountains are like women are they, the bigger the better, or was that saws I was thinking of,
this dam altitude sickness mixes me up something terrible, thank God I made it back down,
just in time for dinner, problemo solved.

Mountains are like women are they, the bigger the better, or was that saws I was thinking of,
this dam altitude sickness mixes me up something terrible, thank God I made it back down,
just in time for dinner, problemo solved.
I big woman will take care of you, a big mountain might get you killed. Both are beauties in the eyes of the beholders

So I've read a 4 pages of posts, and have quite frankly have been amazed at the animosity shown towards husqy saws. I'm not a brand snob. I have a bit of everything. I find my stihl and husqys most reliable. All three mfgs mentioned make cheap homeowner saws. All that would burn up with the type of work the op intends to do. Any of the pro model says would work great. In the 70 cc range a stihl ms440 or husqy 372xp would be great saws. Because of a bad dealer weve switched to husqy for saws and echo for smaller equipment. For what it's worth I prefer husqy for normal saw work, and have a stihl ms192t for my climbing work. Keep your options open, and use a good dealer. Any saw is trash if theres no support for it.
Hell I have not read any trashing of Husquarna within this thread . I own a 346 xp & 576 xp along with a Dolkita 5105 H . Any Prograde saw maintained properly will get the job done . I believe Stihl has gotten a little too pricy in recent yrs unfortunately .

Hell I have not read any trashing of Husquarna within this thread . I own a 346 xp & 576 xp along with a Dolkita 5105 H . Any Prograde saw maintained properly will get the job done . I believe Stihl has gotten a little too pricy in recent yrs unfortunately .
think I mentioned something about tightening bolts on a husqy... which I guess is trashing them, cause it kinda is

I said animosity, not trashing. There is a difference. The op suggests in his earlier post that husqy is an inferior saw, because they make homeowner grade saws. I didnt see anyone pointing out anyone stating the same about stihl, and echo. Both of who make low grade saws as well. Maybe I could have been bit more tactful in my previous post.

I said animosity, not trashing. There is a difference. The op suggests in his earlier post that husqy is an inferior saw, because they make homeowner grade saws. I didnt see anyone pointing out anyone stating the same about stihl, and echo. Both of who make low grade saws as well. Maybe I could have been bit more tactful in my previous post.
wellll...

there's home owner grade, and low grade

they are not the same

Only person I see that mentioned trash was Sean , any saw that is not maintained is trash yada , yada . Guess I did not read between the lines sufficiently , for the subtle derogatory husky reference's roflmao :confused: . P.S. Actually what the originator did state is that he would prefer a professional grade saw that was not manufactured by a previous vacuum cleaner manufacturer ( electrolux ) . I assume he feels husky suck rather than blow , is that trashing or just showing a minor animosity ? ;)

Back