• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Reliable saw, 18+ inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayurtdweller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a decent saw with at least an 18" bar.
Occasional to heavy use. Trees from 14 inch diameter to 30.
Great running is key.
Hoping to come in under $200.
I'm not tied to any particular brand.
What do you have?

I'm in the market for a decent saw with at least an 18" bar.
Occasional to heavy use. Trees from 14 inch diameter to 30.
Great running is key.
Hoping to come in under $200.
I'm not tied to any particular brand.
What do you have?

Great running is fairly easy in the short term. Reliable is largely dependent on you and your maintenance habits. Depending on what you mean by "occasional to heavy use," you should probably spend more than you're hoping to.

I've got a chance at 2 saws... A 55 rancher and ms290 farm boss. Both have unknown history. Both are $150.
What would you do?

The 55 rancher is generally better-built and easier to work on, but we can't tell you which of the two is the better deal, or whether either is worth $150, just on the basis of the model number. Condition is everything. If you want to take up working on saws as a hobby, then buy a cheaper saw and plan to spend more on tools and parts. If you don't want to take it up as a hobby and just need a good working machine, then spend more on the saw in the first place. Either way, expect to spend more.

I've got a chance at 2 saws... A 55 rancher and ms290 farm boss. Both have unknown history. Both are $150.
What would you do?
As long as it runs great once the 55 has a new carb I would buy both and sell the for husky for 200 and the stihl for 275 on craigslist. Then you will have the proper cash to buy what you really need/want:).
Checked the 55, ran poor. Guy is going to put on a new carb. If it cuts wood, I'll pill the trigger.

Thanks for the tip. I just don't see any of those brands in my range. Husky and stihl are everywhere I turn.
@Ayurtdweller don't just limit yourself to Stihl, and Husqvarna. There are plenty of other opportunities for other brands Echo, Shindaiwa, Solo, Dolmar, Jonsered, Makita, etc.

@Ayurtdweller don't just limit yourself to Stihl, and Husqvarna. There are plenty of other opportunities for other brands Echo, Shindaiwa, Solo, Dolmar, Jonsered, Makita, etc.
And as soon as he gets those two saws sold he should PM you promptly;).
If you do you may be pleasantly surprised with what Jon comes up with:rock2:.

Thanks for the tip. I just don't see any of those brands in my range. Husky and stihl are everywhere I turn.
Have you hit up any of the older independent O P E dealers in your area? If this is an option in your area, I strongly suggest it. Cultivate that relationship with early morning pastry items, and you will find some amazing opportunities.

Have you hit up any of the older independent O P E dealers in your area? If this is an option in your area, I strongly suggest it. Cultivate that relationship with early morning pastry items, and you will find some amazing opportunities.
The power of donuts:sweet:, the work for cops and saw guys. Better have a box in the car all the time just in case :yes:.

Latest posts

Back