Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having tried something similar once, except I wanted to save the spur and use it on a gear drive, I know that the steel is very very hard. I had carbide tooling and it wasn't happy, but my lathe is also quite small so I think that didn't help. I would be curious to know exactly what tooling and feed/speed you were using.

A tool post grinder would have been ideal for this cut but I dont have one. I made a plug for the drum to clamp it tight . The spur was slow to cut with the teeth . To big of cut and it would grab it or chip the carbide. I used the same cutter for both jobs just flipped it 1/4 turn for I.D / O.D . The cut was .003/.005 each , speed was 430 and feed was by hand. I also sharpened cutter every .030.
IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1615.JPG

Success! Here is the pro 88 wearing her new bling. All items are available off the shelf. The only mods to any of it was the clutch drum 7/16 to .404 and a little belt sander milling of the chain tensioner . Here is the info .
Bar 30" hard nose Carlton #30-50-.063 Bought from Little Red Barn for a Homelite C 52 .
Chain Husqvarna # H64S-096G . 96 drive loop micro chisel .404/.063. Ebay on the cheap.

Shes not light at almost 34#. Seems to pull well with a .404-7 drive .

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

This bar mount Is a great alternative for the big remingtons. I decided to copy and duplicate .Oil hole right .

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

I will have to shorten chain , will give full use of chain . I ground a little at the arrow for oil.

A little more info on the Pro 88 .404 conversion. The chain I chose for the 30" hardnose was Husky/ Oregon Husky #H64S 096G. 96 link .404/063 skiptooth. I need a couple links shorter so I called Oregon and got Eric. Here are the part#'s for the presets and ties. Presets Oregon# P23868 tiebar #P23825. Current production .
Tom

any of you guys know where to get or the size/specs for the woodruff key on a PL-55A. part # from the ipl is 104364. iv'e picked up about a dozen different sizes but nothing close. thanks men.

any of you guys know where to get or the size/specs for the woodruff key on a PL-55A. part # from the ipl is 104364. iv'e picked up about a dozen different sizes but nothing close. thanks men.

If you can't find a NOS one get one close that's a little larger and clamp it in a vice and file it down. flip it and file the side that was in the vice. They are generally pretty soft.
Make it a little bigger than the keyway in the crank so it stays put. That will save you from looking for it next time you remove the flywheel.

Having said that, the key just locates the flywheel on the crankshaft. If you mark it and line it up properly you don't need it. Just make sure there is no oil at all on the mating surfaces. Putting oil on there is generally what makes the keys shear.

If you can't find a NOS one get one close that's a little larger and clamp it in a vice and file it down. flip it and file the side that was in the vice. They are generally pretty soft.
Make it a little bigger than the keyway in the crank so it stays put. That will save you from looking for it next time you remove the flywheel.

Having said that, the key just locates the flywheel on the crankshaft. If you mark it and line it up properly you don't need it. Just make sure there is no oil at all on the mating surfaces. Putting oil on there is generally what makes the keys shear.
thanks Tim. my "mechanic" buddy said about the same thing with filing one down. i was just hoping some of the guru's here had a size for it or had found them somewhere.

Blue Wards Bantam type on evilbay.
VINTAGE MONTGOMERY WARD CHAINSAW MODEL # TMC 24060A COMES W/ A 20" BAR & CHAIN https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382321230779

I’ve only seen three or so in the past five years.

57296201f728b2d42f8a01d89302ea1f.jpg

Latest posts

Back