Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the oil tank. Have to take the starter and whole fuel/oil tank cover off to get in there, so you'll likely need a new gasket when reassembling.
Pretty easy (well documented, thanks all) fix once you've got it out.

And, you have to remove the flywheel.

57fcaf8f5e31caecb5486f716d5f8617.jpg

Great info and pic. Thanks guys.
Above is an SL-11 IIRC. But same setup.

That fitting that goes into the crank case also should have a duckbill in it to stop oil winding up in the crankcase. That's what I fixed on mine, and then cleaned the check valve in the elbow.

The crank case pulses pressurize the oil tank, which forces oil to a needle valve that's actuated by the throttle rod and the oil pump plunger. The needle valve lets oil by to the bar pad. You have to open the oil tank after running one of these saws to relieve the pressure otherwise it'll puke all the oil on the ground.

That fitting that goes into the crank case also should have a duckbill in it to stop oil winding up in the crankcase. That's what I fixed on mine, and then cleaned the check valve in the elbow.

The crank case pulses pressurize the oil tank, which forces oil to a needle valve that's actuated by the throttle rod and the oil pump plunger. The needle valve lets oil by to the bar pad. You have to open the oil tank after running one of these saws to relieve the pressure otherwise it'll puke all the oil on the ground.

Great info, thanks. Does a Homelite or Poulan duckbill fit?

I recently acquired a Remington Bantam, 1959. It's in ok shape overall, but the pump diaphragm is gooey and seems partly melted. Probably from sitting in bad gas, the carb was varnished pretty hard.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place I could source a diaphragm kit?

Or, failing at that, to find the little metal plates (I don't know the name, the little metal quarter-sized plate that pushes the needle lever) that go on pump diaphragms so I could take a stab at making my own.

I recently acquired a Remington Bantam, 1959. It's in ok shape overall, but the pump diaphragm is gooey and seems partly melted. Probably from sitting in bad gas, the carb was varnished pretty hard.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place I could source a diaphragm kit?

Or, failing at that, to find the little metal plates (I don't know the name, the little metal quarter-sized plate that pushes the needle lever) that go on pump diaphragms so I could take a stab at making my own.

Sugar Creek Supply, between KC and Independence Missouri.

Carb is a Carter ND. Joe Salva makes the diaphragm kit for them.

Hi Everyone,I've exhausted all my places to look for parts for my SL-9.I had one given to me a little over a month ago & it has awesome compression,but the starter cup is shot.I looked on Feebay & Chainsawr.Nothing anywhere.I have one more place to check in the a.m.,they're supposed to carry a bunch of old Remington parts.I suppose I should check for spark before I get overly excited.If I've got spark,then I'll give her a shot of juice & see if she fires.
Ed

Yeah Pete,I got another one.I was thinking the same thing about the starter cup swapping over from a Bantam to the SL9.The cup on the SL9 measures approx.2 9/16 in.across.I've looked on Feebay & Chainsawr & had no luck.Would you be so kind as to measure the cup on the Bantam?It'd be greatly appreciated.
Ed

Yeah Pete,I got another one.I was thinking the same thing about the starter cup swapping over from a Bantam to the SL9.The cup on the SL9 measures approx.2 9/16 in.across.I've looked on Feebay & Chainsawr & had no luck.Would you be so kind as to measure the cup on the Bantam?It'd be greatly appreciated.
Ed

id or od?
saw here is mighty mite, not bantam. cup looks small, but will look. might be later today b4 I get back here, tho.
if you can get depth or height measure, I have some pioneer cups too.
if you have access to lathe, theyre easy to sleeve.

I have a MM here too.I measured it last night - way too small,only 2 in.across.I don't have a lathe or access to one.I called my last source yesterday to a saw dealer in Pa.who used to have a lot of old Remington parts.The key words here are USED TO HAVE.They got rid of their old Remington stuff a while back I was told.I guess I'll have to wait till something comes up on Feebay.
ED

The last I knew Tim was going up north for a week.There's no service up that way unless he goes into town,but that was two weeks ago.I hope everything is OK.
The only thing I've got for pioneer is three 1074's,& I don't believe they have starter cups.
I've got another member here looking at a freebie CL find.It's a Monkey Wards made by Remington,maybe it'll work.
Ed

The measurement I got was 2 9/16" O.D.from one lip to the next.I just checked on Chainsawr to see if they hadany Pioneer 600 series cups.The Pioneer cups are a totally different style cup than the Remington.The Pioneer is a friction shoe starter,whereas the Remington has little "slats"cut into the cup where the whirly -gig pawls catch using centripetal force that throws them outwards to catch in these "slats".After awhile the grooved slats get worn because the cup is made from soft aluminum.I'll try to get a pic on here tomorrow to show what I'm talking about.
Ed

Back