Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent part of my weekend working on a PL-7a too.
Got it all pulled apart, cleaned it and lost most of the paint, so into the sandblaster it went.

20200426_142101.jpg

I will order crank seals today and it should be up and running soon enough. Crank seals are: SKF 7443 for the Flywheel side and SKF 9838 for the PTO.

@Maintenance supervisor did you get a NOS clutch drum with the spline drive off of ebay? My sprocket has seen better days.

I also tried my own version of fixing the oiler check valve I will see if it actually works. It doesn't really seem to, but anything is better than nothing. Failing this fix I will probably just plug it.

20200426_150213.jpg

Looking to paint these SL-11's
515602ba4a5e5f8afa9f92fb931e2c41.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Got it all pulled apart, cleaned it and lost most of the paint, so into the sandblaster it went.

View attachment 822857

I will order crank seals today and it should be up and running soon enough. Crank seals are: SKF 7443 for the Flywheel side and SKF 9838 for the PTO.

@Maintenance supervisor did you get a NOS clutch drum with the spline drive off of ebay? My sprocket has seen better days.

I also tried my own version of fixing the oiler check valve I will see if it actually works. It doesn't really seem to, but anything is better than nothing. Failing this fix I will probably just plug it.

View attachment 822858

That should work providing the ball fits well up against the cap part of the elbow.

What is the ball diameter? I’ll try that on the next one I have needing fixed.

That should work providing the ball fits well up against the cap part of the elbow.

What is the ball diameter? I’ll try that on the next one I have needing fixed.
I broke apart an old crank bearing, I think its was a 6203. so whatever the ball diameter in those is.

Dial, what's next digital! Old saws require old school tools. Vernier baby!
00f97b1b5434675977fd894accbfd69a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Vernier's are fine, but they are not accurate, they depend on the interpretation of the user. Not that it matters at all for things on chainsaws.

View attachment 822857

View attachment 822858
I did order a clutch kit from ebay its the same one as the 754, 10619 Oregon i believe.
I use some thick fuel line and duckbill for a homelite, I don't expect the duck bill valve to last but it is oiling and my thumb pump has pressure again.

Gentlemen,I hope you'll be happy to know that I found a source for some Remington parts.As a matter of fact he's looking to sell his entire line of Remington parts.I don't know exactly how much he has in parts,but I assume it's not just a few nickels & dimes worth.He said that he bought up old dealerships over the yrs.as they folded.His name is Buford (Ray) Parrish of Parrish Implements in Brandenburg,Ky.He can be contacted at (502) 228-1462 or Fax (502) 228-7737 .I was able to buy a spider for my SL9,& I'm sure he has plenty more parts.He just wants everyone who calls to order to have their part # ready.
Ed

Thanks Ed thats super helpful.
I've got to call him again tomorrow with another updated list of parts I need.If he's not too ridiculous on his price I might buy out his Remy parts stock.Everyone here on AS will have first shot at the parts they need if I can work the deal.I'm not looking to get rich like the Ebay folks,but I don't want to lose money either.
Ed

I've got to call him again tomorrow with another updated list of parts I need.If he's not too ridiculous on his price I might buy out his Remy parts stock.Everyone here on AS will have first shot at the parts they need if I can work the deal.I'm not looking to get rich like the Ebay folks,but I don't want to lose money either.
Ed
Losing money is bad! And you won't get arguments from honest members who will trade or pay a fair price.

View attachment 822857

View attachment 822858
Fyi my saw has a messed up cap that goes on the elbow fitting (from the PO) just make sure you've got plenty of clearance before tightening it down.

Well fellas,I finally got around to putting zip ties on the valve for the oilers on the SL9A's.One works fairly well & the other comes shooting out with force.It wasn't an easy task to fish that black zip tie through the linkage,but persistence pays off.I put the saws all back together which included the stator plate & the flywheel & I checked for spark & have none.I suspect the points need to be cleaned & might have oil on them.Both saws had spark previously.
A special thanks to Carl for helping me out with this project & all the other members who helped as well.

FWIW,I talked with Buford Parrish today about the Remy parts.It doesn't look like I'll be buying them after all.IMO he wants too much for the few parts he has & a lot of the parts have no PN's on them.If anyone needs a Remy part though it wouldn't hurt to give him a call,he just might have that part you need.
Ed

Latest posts

Back