Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well folks,I think I've finally got some spark on the 754.Hard to tell because the cup is worn out & the starter keeps slipping.My son said he saw spark while I pulled it over the best I could.I'm working on getting a new cup for it.Supposedly a cup from a Homelite C series is the same.

Well folks,I think I've finally got some spark on the 754.Hard to tell because the cup is worn out & the starter keeps slipping.My son said he saw spark while I pulled it over the best I could.I'm working on getting a new cup for it.Supposedly a cup from a Homelite C series is the same.

Did you try lightly sharpening the starter dogs (trailing edge)? Do that and completely degrease the friction washers and assembly before condemning parts. Yes, you are going to find that cup on other saws because it's an FM part but there will be differences.

C5 Homie used the Fairbanks Morse starter. [emoji106]

I saw an old thread here where a member used a cup from a C5 & it worked.I'm sure that when FM made the cups (or had them made for FM) they didn't say"Now this cup is for Homelite,so we'll make it this way & this cup is for Remington,so we'll make it this way".It's called cost effectiveness to make a part that fits more than one model or more than one mfgr.of a saw.I have a C5 & a C9 & I'll try both cups to see if they work.I also have a new pawl assembly & I'll try that first.

Examine these search results and count how many different styles FM offered.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...m5467.l1311&_odkw=Fairbanks+morse+starter+cup
Of course there are going top be different size cups for different size saws.I wouldn't expect a cup from a Mighty Mite to fit on a C5.
You're missing my point.I didn't say that FM made one cup to fit asll.I said FM made a cup to fit more than one application.I'll find that old thread that was posted here some yrs.ago & show it to you.It might take me some time to do so.

It didn't take quite as long as anticipated.Check this out.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2K....191111//RK=2/RS=zKd7JzNaj09v1zJx_P0oTXjSaPI-

I thought I'd update you all here on the progress of my 754'sThe one runs good & I just got a 36 in..404 chain for it from Archer for $30.I'll cut that down to 30 in.tomorrow.Archer was kind enough to send several repair links free of charge.I can't wait to sink this saw into an ash tree that we dropped last April.
The 2nd 754 was the one that gave me all kinds of grief with the no spark issue.I'm happy to say that it now has plenty of spark.The starter cup was another story,but I've got a new one on the way & should have it by early next week.Also,the spark plug that came with the saw was no good,I've got a new plug on the way as well.
I'd like to thank everyone here for helping me out with the 754.

I got another SL9 mosquito fogger running today.I pulled the carb off & just gave it a cleaning,didn't need to be rebuilt.I put it back on the saw & it just wouldn't fire up.I was considering pulling the carb & giving it a kit after all,but at the last minute decided to try a different plug.It fired right up.That is the 2nd bad Bosch plug I've had in the last 2 months.I always thought Bosch plugs were supposed to be good,guess I was wrong.

I picked up another SL9 "parts saw".I got it & it looked to be in pretty good shape.It needed a recoil as it didn't come with one.I noticed it had a chip on it too_One muffler stud needs to be replaced,unless I can get the broken screw out of the stud.The P&C looked good,so I took a recoil off another SL9 & put it on this one.I gave a shot of fuel into the plug hole,put the plug back in & gave it a pull & it fired right up.I put fuel in the tank & pulled it over about 6-8 times & the saw ran perfectly.I put oil in the tank & found I've got yet another mosquito fogger.There were no markings on the saw to say it had an auto oiler.Another one to convert.

This just seems to be such a busy place.Lol On the Super 754,how does anyone get a carb off to rebuild it?I'm about ready to take it to the scrap yard.Engineers with their heads up their butts.

This just seems to be such a busy place.Lol On the Super 754,how does anyone get a carb off to rebuild it?I'm about ready to take it to the scrap yard.Engineers with their heads up their butts.

A twelve point 7/16” box end wrench ground down next to nothing. [emoji1696]

Or, bite the bullet and remove the fuel tank. It takes only minutes, you have wrench & screwdriver that fits and one gets easy access to the [emoji2959] nuts.

Make new gaskets you will.

Well I can contribute to this thread. I picked up a Remington SL4 last weekend.

It runs pretty good, but the bar is shot, and it needs a new air filter.

20200604_162459.jpg

Thanks Carl! I was kinda figuring the grinding of a wrench would be involved.I'd rather not pull ther fuel tank & make any more work than I already have,especially with having to make new gaskets..

Thanks Carl! I was kinda figuring the grinding of a wrench would be involved.I'd rather not pull ther fuel tank & make any more work than I already have,especially with having to make new gaskets..
I used a 7/16" ignition wrench, the 90 degree off-set end just fit and it was a slow go.

Ok so does anyone know the part # for a Remington SL-5GB condenser? I just picked up a 100% complete saw but need a new condenser.
88fb3c6817d89df5d79d5ef22bfc7ce4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ok so does anyone know the part # for a Remington SL-5GB condenser? I just picked up a 100% complete saw but need a new condenser.
88fb3c6817d89df5d79d5ef22bfc7ce4.jpg

If you go to the beg for manuals thread you can ask for an IPL & when you get it you'll have all the part #'s you'll need.I do this every time I get a new saw.

So I think I'm going to have to hone the cylinder, it popped and ran for a few seconds but I turned it off to put all the parts back on and it won't even pop now. I had some WD-40 in the cylinder just prior to it starting so maybe that made enough compression. The saw is under 90psi but also it has a Homelite condenser in it so I'm not sure.
Really need an IPL/ manual and condenser.
Hopefully that guy who sells all the Caber rings has a set.

Back