Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally got the saw running and it's a beast! I added seafoam to my gas to clean out the p&c of residual buildup from previous owner. Starts on the 1st pull now that she's warmed up. I still need to tune the carb a bit better but all in all not too shabby!
Thanks for all the advice and help.
Still gonna hone her out when I get rings.

So I think I'm going to have to hone the cylinder, it popped and ran for a few seconds but I turned it off to put all the parts back on and it won't even pop now. I had some WD-40 in the cylinder just prior to it starting so maybe that made enough compression. The saw is under 90psi but also it has a Homelite condenser in it so I'm not sure.
Really need an IPL/ manual and condenser.
Hopefully that guy who sells all the Caber rings has a set.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Remington & Homelite took some of the same condensers in some,but not all of their saws.There's a guy on Ebay selling them now.The thing is they must be some kind of generic condenser because they have no numbers on them.I've used them in several Homelite saws I have without a problem.
At 90 psi I'm surprised the saw popped at all.Yeah,the WD40 probably gave it just enough compression to fire.I've heard good things about the Caber rings.Fossil (Tim) just ordered some Caber rings for a saw.

I posted a video of it running, and now it starts on the 1st pull, probably because it's still primed but what the heck right! I'm wondering if the rings were mucked up and after running good fuel with seafoam they sprung open? Compression test tomorrow.

I posted a video of it running, and now it starts on the 1st pull, probably because it's still primed but what the heck right! I'm wondering if the rings were mucked up and after running good fuel with seafoam they sprung open? Compression test tomorrow.

That is possible that the rings were sticking & by running the saw with Seafoam in the fuel they got freed up.That Seafoam is good stuff! Your compression reading should come up,I wouldn't be surprised if it'll come up to 120 psi or more.

Ok so does anyone know the part # for a Remington SL-5GB condenser? I just picked up a 100% complete saw but need a new condenser.
88fb3c6817d89df5d79d5ef22bfc7ce4.jpg

That wrap handlebar, as far as I know, was unique to the Remington Pro Bow saw. Besides the handle, the exhaust was a bit different than a SL5G and it should have pyramid reeds vs flat. Also, mine had a floating rim type sprocket rather than a spur. Kept throwing the chain though, so I ditched the rim. Of course, the Pro Bow came with a bow and 7/16 chain.

This was my saw till I traded it away. I called it 'the backache'Remy_SL5G_zps33b8032b.jpg

If it makes you feel better I didn't know either [emoji33]

I wanted to offer you a Pro88 exhaust but it won't fit the gear drives. Lots of clearance issues.

This is what you need to look for. And, I recall the ProBow exhaust pointing up instead of right.

IMG_20200616_15258.jpgIMG_20200616_22269.jpg

Hi guys,I've been stuck between a rock & a hard place trying to find new races for a couple of SL9's.I went to a local bearing house today in hopes they could help me out.They were unable to get a new race for me,but came up with 2 other options.Option one was to press out the needle bearing & press in 2 ball bearings side by side that fit the shaft properly.The other option was to use a brass bushing in place of the race.I opted for option 2.I know that the brass bushing is softer than the original steel race,but it's only temporary till I might find an original race someday.The brass bushings were cheap enough.I got 8 of them for $24.

Latest posts

Back