ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lots of Remy stuff going on.I didn't get the SL7A,but I did get what was supposed to be a PL5.I have my doubts if it's a PL5 because the recoil model tag says it's a PL4.It could be a PL5 with a PL4 recoil on,I'll find out soon enough.

I pulled the reed assembly off a Woodmaster that I bought for parts,the reed is no good due to corrosion,but I had something to compare the reed to from a SXL that I pulled apart today.Good news - the reeds are identical! The old style single reeds that were used in the older XL12 & SXL will swap right in on the PL4,PL5,SL4,& Woodmaster.Homelite part # is 58775.For a comparison the reed on the right is out of the Woodmaster & the reed on the left is out of the SXL.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1
edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lots of stuff going on again.I got another PL4 today that was supposed to be a PL5.I need to measure the cylinder to find out exactly what saw I have.I'll have pics a bit later in the post.
I pulled apart the other PL4 (Agway Special) that had the sticking reed.I couldn't find anything wrong with the reed,other than there might've been some crud built up which might've prevented it from closing tight.Needless to say,I'm putting a new reed in it as it'd be foolish not to for $3 & the saw is already apart.I also found an HS79 carb which has the same size venturi in it as the HS87A.It just needs a rebuild kit.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
A little while back I mentioned that I got an SL11 that turned out to be a good runner.I had it running last week & tried to start it today,but it was a no go.It acted like it didn't have spark.I'll have to check it.Here are a couple pics.One thing I noticed about this saw is the different throttle lock they put on it.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 1
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 1
edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well gang,I've got some more good news - a cylinder gasket for a Homelite XL12 fits right over onto the PL4 & SL4.It has to be the old style XL12 with the single reed,an XL12 with the pyramid reed will not fit as the gasket is made differently.I figured I couldn't go wrong for $4.If nothing else I'd have a gasket on hand for an XL12.I hope the same gasket will work on the PL5 too.Homelite part # is 58513.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0