Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received the spike for the Deere 17/PL-4 and it was the right fit. Turns out there are a couple sizes and this one (64501) is a larger one. There would appear to be two smaller versions from what my searching turned up (combined with what's in the SL-4A IPL) with part number 65878 being a smaller one on ebay for the PL-9 and a 65299 "kit" listed in the SL-4 IPL which may well also just be the 65878 with hardware included. I didn't dig too far into it since I found what I needed, but suffice to say this seems to be one Remington part that doesn't have a Homelite match. I've included a PDF template for anyone who may want to make the 64501. (A couple hours with a plasma cutter could make someone some money knockin' a few of these out.)

Looks fairly formidable, though deceptively subtle at the same time. Should get the job done -- and this project now is finished. Thanks to Carl early on for his patience while I was trying to sort out the top end variants and options.

PL-4 Spike.jpg

Attachments

• Remington 64501 Spike.pdf
    97.7 KB · Views: 4
Well I screwed up the Remington PL 4 that I was given last week.
I took the muffler off and the piston looked good. I added plenty of oil to the piston and cylinder.
I put gas in the tank and about a half a teaspoon in the carb. On the third pull it fired once. On the 4th pull it fired twice. I noticed something had changed. Tried to pull it again. It's locked up tight.
Hopefully the cylinder will be okay.
1606521431887.png

Jeez,that piston doesn't look so good.I don't know if you can clean it up or not with that scoring.I know a guy who has a PL5 short block that's been bored over & a bigger piston & rings were put in by Remington,supposedly,but the guy wants too much for it IMO- $160.

Jeez,that piston doesn't look so good.I don't know if you can clean it up or not with that scoring.I know a guy who has a PL5 short block that's been bored over & a bigger piston & rings were put in by Remington,supposedly,but the guy wants too much for it IMO- $160.
I'll know more when I tear it down.
I've been surfing for parts. Not much to be found.

Well I screwed up the Remington PL 4 that I was given last week.
I took the muffler off and the piston looked good. I added plenty of oil to the piston and cylinder.
I put gas in the tank and about a half a teaspoon in the carb. On the third pull it fired once. On the 4th pull it fired twice. I noticed something had changed. Tried to pull it again. It's locked up tight.
Hopefully the cylinder will be okay.
View attachment 870514

The piston w/rings for a Homelite Super XL is a direct replacement for that.

EBay seller Little Red Barn has them.

I boycott LRB entirely just because of their Mac piston kits being notorious for having wrist pin and bearing issues (as in they don't fit correctly) but they continue to sell them anyway. That's bull$hit any way you want to cut it.

I've heard the same thing about the kits for Homelite saws too.
How about Proline kits sold by Sawzilla?

I just used the Homelite Proline piston kit that I linked to above for a PL-4 and would recommend it. Good quality. Fit great. May well be the same kit as LRB is selling, but I wasn't going to find out the hard way that it wasn't. I've used Sawzilla/Proline for a few other projects with no complaints.

Latest posts

Back