Remington or Poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've never seen a Remington Gas Chainsaw so have no idea about them.
I've run lots of old Poulan saws but not in the last 15 years.
I prefer Echo or Sthil so whena friend of mine asked which saw to buy I recommended Echo or Sthil.
He choked on price and found a Remington on line new in the box about 175 bucks.
My instant response was a Poulan 42 ish cc would probably be better than a Remington. However the Remigton RM4216 ( I think) supposedly gets good reviews on Amazon.
Friend said 200 bucks is his limit.
I had an Echo cs310 which is in that range and HATED it. The Echo cs352 is MUCH better IMHO but the extra cash leaves that out.
The choices ( no devatlon) no second guessing, no opinions is Poulan ot Remington
If someone ACTUALLY has real word experience with BOTH of these saws ( we all have opinions, including me) please tell me your experience
I can tell you I think the cs310 was a waste of 200 bucks when just a few more bucks scores a real saw. I can tell you my dealer will not be as quick to reimburse you for a saw you hate that breaks first month. I can tell you Lowes let me return a piece of crap saw after 5 days. I ca tell you Home Depot stood behind a new Riding mower when the engine failed after a month. I can tell you that NOW I NEVER send people to my x dealer but send them to a big box store where I was treated right. I can tell you my x dealer ha lost much business because he could not WARRANTY a 12 dollar plastic chain catcher
Experience beats opinion. Thanks in advance for all who share their experiences. Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Blessings.

I’d say just as good as the plastic poulans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Poulan Pros are actually very good saws and will give long service if treated properly and tuned right. All the Poulan Pros have chrome plated cylinders (non Pro saws don't) are easy to work on and parts are cheap and available. Only downside is they are also strato saws which adds a little complexity and cost to some parts and makes them a bit more tricky to tune, the factory setting the carbs come with CANNOT be trusted and they have to be retuned by someone familiar with strato saws. The new Remington saws are Chinese saws and I think they are a Zenoah production, also a decent saw and has a non-strato engine. There seems to be a quality control issue with the Chinese saws so it is a bit of a risk as you might get a good one or one with problems. If it has original bar, chain and sprocket expect them to be very poor quality. Some of these rebranded saws have been upgraded to Oregon bars and chains. Many shops might not want to work on them, parts are cheap but will have to be ordered on-line.

We still occasionally use a 18" Craftsman (made by Poulan I believe) which I bought back in 1993 for $200 and it has been totally reliable trouble free saw.
I replaced the AV springs with stronger ones about 20 years ago since the originals were little soft to my liking, but that's all!

:D

Attachments

• Specs.pdf
    152.9 KB · Views: 4
I have been using a Remington 4214 Rebel chainsaw since last fall as my small saw. Out of the box I opened up the carb screws to the limit and have been running it that way since. No engine issues. The chain brake setup is flimsy and got knock out of alignment, easy fix as I just had to realign the pieces, noticed the problem as the brake became a hair trigger. Super easy to start, cold or hot, oils good enough for a 14” bar. I am rough on saws, I set the brake often. This wee Remington has not been pampered in any way.

Not a power house at all. Not fast. Heavy. Bulky handling for it power, cc.

Spends a lot of time ripping limbs and milling waste to fit through the chipper. Did not keep track of run times but a typical afternoon of use for that saw would be a quart of fuel, lots and lots of those afternoons.

The little 38cc Ryobi and this 42cc Remington are decent wee little saws. Not horrible, not great. The little Ryobi retail here for enough less money that they are what I generally recommend. The Ryobis feel overall smaller and less bulky and similar enough in power.

No run time on current Poulans.

I like cs400. Wonder what they are going for? Just for giggles I'm gonna google that and find the best deal. The cs352 is a saw that cuts right up there with some 42cc saws. The cs490 is powerful for a 50 cc and keeps up with my Sthil 026.. Wonder where the cs400 falls between price and power wise between the cs352 and cs490?

The Ryobi costs about $120.00.

The Remington cost about $150.00. I paid $75.00, open box.

Fuel lines, filters, etc., are available, beyond that they like most cheap saws are disposable. Once fixing the saw hits 50% of new it becomes a parts machine.

I bought a new in the box Ryobi once. Used it for 5 days. It burned up or wore out. It began cutting slow and motor weak. Cutting a two inch limb was like using a handsaw. Lowes refunded my money. After that all I've recommended is one of a select few Echo saws. I'm running 3 different model echoes. I hated the cs310. They say it's EXACTLY like a cs352 only smaller motor. Where I'm from thats a lie. Both saws favor looking from outside but under the plastic there is a huge difference. My opinion is the cs310 was made cheap to be sold to unsuspecting people. It fooled me once. I sold mine and was glad to get 130 bucks. After a Muffler Mod and tune up it was still crap. I feel the Poulan may be the best cheap saw. My guess is the best deal is pay for a 250 dollar saw that works all the time. Honestly I've not run a modern Poulan but the old ones were good. It may be low end (cheap saws) are just that. Cheap. My guess. Your mileage may vary. Blessings

The Ryobi costs about $120.00.

The Remington cost about $150.00. I paid $75.00, open box.

Fuel lines, filters, etc., are available, beyond that they like most cheap saws are disposable. Once fixing the saw hits 50% of new it becomes a parts machine.
How well built is the motor on a Remington?
I haven't any knowledge of those saws.

How well built is the motor on a Remington?
I haven't any knowledge of those saws.

Do not know. Never looked. If it breaks it will get torn down. It has a rim and drum instead of a spur sprocket and a decent air filter. Putting a new chain on it this week. Only one maybe two filings left on the original chain.

Sounds good. Ebjoy. Please keep us updated. You may want to stary a thread on Remington gas saws. Maybe a lot of people interested. Have a great day.

Sounds good. Ebjoy. Please keep us updated. You may want to stary a thread on Remington gas saws. Maybe a lot of people interested. Have a great day.

Back