Remington Outlaw Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarone1991

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I just bought my first chainsaw (Remington Outlaw with a 20 in. bar) a few days ago. Used it for awhile and cut at least a dozen trees from 6" to 24" mostly Spruce and Birch.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. Starts well and idles well. It's pretty heavy but I'm sure I will get used to it. I will probably cut 5-6 cords of wood a year.

I thought I would ask your guys' opinions on this saw, as well as asking how long it will last if it's taken care of. Some tips for maintaining it to maximize the life of the chainsaw would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

aaron

That saw is really a Chinese Zenoah with a new name. It depends on who you talk to when getting an opinion about the saw as there seems to be a quality control issue and you might get a good one or one with lots of problems. I personally, have used one for 2 years and have found mine to be an excellent saw for a really good price. There are minor imperfections in how plastic parts fit and the bar and chain were junk, but the saw is a straight forward design and easy to work on and service. Parts are readily available on e-bay and they are cheap. After opening up the muffler, it has decent power, and the saw has always stared easily and responds to the carb adjustments the way it should. Other names for these saws are Redmax, Bluemax, Timber Pro and Forest King just to name a few.

That saw is really a Chinese Zenoah with a new name. It depends on who you talk to when getting an opinion about the saw as there seems to be a quality control issue and you might get a good one or one with lots of problems. I personally, have used one for 2 years and have found mine to be an excellent saw for a really good price. There are minor imperfections in how plastic parts fit and the bar and chain were junk, but the saw is a straight forward design and easy to work on and service. Parts are readily available on e-bay and they are cheap. After opening up the muffler, it has decent power, and the saw has always stared easily and responds to the carb adjustments the way it should. Other names for these saws are Redmax, Bluemax, Timber Pro and Forest King just to name a few.

How does one "open up" a muffler?

Redmax is the u.s. name that Husqvarna/Zenoah LTD uses. Keep good fuel in it, the chain sharp, and turn up the oiler a little, this saw will last you a while.

Redmax/zenoahs are the real deal g450avs.

My input, you asked how to prolong life of your Saw. As others said use good gas and don’t leave it set around in the saw. Use top of the line mix oil and keep your air filter clean.

No need to adjust if just doing a spark screen and cover.

I like the design of these, they are built like a pro saw with a split case and dual piston ring piston. They are straight out of China so tolerances and bearings might be questionable. The only issue you may find is that mtd sucks, IMO and they are notorious for switching manufacturers frequently and designs to avoid false warranty claims so it may be hard to get parts going forward. If you aren’t looking to keep it 20 years it may do you just fine.

Redmax is the u.s. name that Husqvarna/Zenoah LTD uses. Keep good fuel in it, the chain sharp, and turn up the oiler a little, this saw will last you a while.

Redmax/zenoahs are the real deal g450avs.

Can you recommend a good 20" replacement chain? Keeping in mind I will be cutting mostly wet or dirty soft woods like birch and spruce. Thanks.

Can you recommend a good 20" replacement chain? Keeping in mind I will be cutting mostly wet or dirty soft woods like birch and spruce. Thanks.
Check what's on the side of the bar, some of these have .058 chains and some have .050.
My timberpro had a .058 78 link chain on its 20 inch bar.
I ordered an archer full chisel chain off ebay for it, Oregon only makes 80 drive link chains in that size which is a bit long.

I have several of these saws, including the rebel series. Anyway, here are my thoughts and experiences, I purchased these off of ebay, for parts not working.
First all those chinese chainsaw parts bolt right in. I've redone top ends, 45, 52, and 58cc.

What I do recommend is picking up some UNI 5/8" filter foam & filter oil. The stock air filter does not stop the fine particles from getting into your intake.
Just pop the air filter open clean it out good and your intake as well. Trace the filter half onto foam, cut it out, don't forget the hole for the mounting stud, oil it, re-install.
I also take a little petroleum jelly and wipe into the air filter seam. Cheap insurance to make your saw last longer.

Latest posts

Back