Remington SL-55A?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDee

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My neighbor has asked for help with his saw, which came from his dad. We know nothing about it. It has been sitting idle for at least 10 years, but it does fire with prime.

DSC00278[1].JPG

It is all red, but the paint is falling off. Maybe it was repainted. We do have the cover and the air filter.
And the bar and chains.

DSC00279[1].JPG
No identifying labels. The carb is a Tillotson HS129A. The bar is a 3/8 Windsor uxl. Spur sprocket is N146A7.

From these clues I am guessing Remington? 55A?

There is an adjustment screw on the oil pump plunger. The simple twist lever for high idle is labelled "start."

If anyone can confirm or redirect me, I will appreciate the help. Thanks. Don

My neighbor has asked for help with his saw, which came from his dad. We know nothing about it. It has been sitting idle for at least 10 years, but it does fire with prime.

View attachment 724150

It is all red, but the paint is falling off. Maybe it was repainted. We do have the cover and the air filter.
And the bar and chains.

View attachment 724153
No identifying labels. The carb is a Tillotson HS129A. The bar is a 3/8 Windsor uxl. Spur sprocket is N146A7.

There is an adjustment screw on the oil pump plunger. The simple twist lever for high idle is labelled "start."

Definitely a Remington SL-55A.
82cc engine, and the auto oiler usually leaks into the cylinder. Instant mosquito fogger LOL

Yes, SL-55.

2 1/4 # less than a Homie XL-925.

Here are four of them.

d343951452b39ca130062bc31c1ace83.jpg

Definitely a Remington SL-55A.
82cc engine, and the auto oiler usually leaks into the cylinder. Instant mosquito fogger LOL
Thanks. When I fired it on prime, it was definitely making more smoke than my 50:1 mix would warrant. I figured it was just residual old fuel in the system. Is the oiler repair straightforward? Special parts?

View attachment 724150

And the bar and chains.

View attachment 724153

That lever is the decomp valve.

I disassembled the top of the carb, freed both of the stuck flapper valves on the top diaphragm, and now it starts, idles and revs out strong. It appears the oil tank is empty, but it still makes a big smokey stink. The manual oil plunger resists pressure, which it did not do before I had the saw running good.

I disassembled the top of the carb, freed both of the stuck flapper valves on the top diaphragm, and now it starts, idles and revs out strong. It appears the oil tank is empty, but it still makes a big smokey stink. The manual oil plunger resists pressure, which it did not do before I had the saw running good.
What ever became of the the oil plunger?

Pull the throttle trigger when thumbing the manual oiler.

It has a link that opens a valve. The valve prevents the pressure in the oil tank from emptying it contents when idle.

Back