Removing rust from Chainsaw bar using using a batter charger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensie1988

Vintage Saw Maniac
Reaction score
So over the weekend I filmed a video of using a battery charger and electrolyte solution to remove the rust from my old Homelite C-5 solid nosed bar. I think it done a great job, but I wanted to know what all of the more seasoned vets thought. Enjoy!

Part 1

Part 2

I've done the electrolysis thing before on other things...I'd tend to wire wheel it and put a rust converter on it...did the rust come out of the bar groove okay?

does this do more than using just a wire wheel to remove the rust?
I'll answer this question and it might help reinforce the first question.

This process actually reverses the rusting actually done to the bar, so treating rust this way turns the rust into a loose iron deposit that can be scrubbed off. So in a way it neutralizes the current rust so even if you don't get all of the deposits off it won't continue to spread. It also will leave a pretty attractive patina sometimes.

As for the first question, I got a full reaction down in the driver channel and got it treated so as soon as I drop a chain in and start running it, it should wear it out, but we will find out.

Try some white vinegar or tomato sauce.
Cheapski
I did come across that researching this process as well, but to downfall to using acid based removal is that it can dissolve surface features that are embedded in the rust, this process will actually convert and bond some of that deeper rust back with the bar restoring some usable stock on the bar and thus preserving the surface features. This also produces that attractive patina I was talking about.

Nice videos. Only problem is your work bench is way to clean. ;)
Well it isn't right now because I have started working on my XL-700 so it's starting to get messy! I'm recording myself through that rebuild process though and will be systematically adding the videos to that channel as that rebuild takes place. I'm going to do a hopefully quick video explaining a little bit of what is happening when you use the electrolysis method and why you might choose it over traditional methods. I feel like enough people asked me about the advantages of using that over something else that it warranted a quick follow up.

Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

For an occasional use saw I would probably just oil it and run it. If you want to neutralize things this seems to be a better way.

There are also chemicals that convert rust to iron. I have used that on a few projects and the name escapes me.

For an occasional use saw I would probably just oil it and run it. If you want to neutralize things this seems to be a better way.

There are also chemicals that convert rust to iron. I have used that on a few projects and the name escapes me.
Yep, I don't know what their names are either, I've seen a video of someone using it on an old iron wagon wheel or something they want to use for decoration. But I think the specific video was a rust neutralizer and then using a sealer to prevent future rust. They wanted to keep that rusty vintage look.

I had a Stihl standard sprocket nose bar that really looked like hell and was selling the saw. I've seen a couple of guys who used disc sanders to create the effect (forget what it was called) anyway I went out and bought a cheap disc kit at harbor freight and gave it a try and if I took more time it would of looked a lot better, but for my first time I was satisfied and the new owner loved it. I just sprayed it with clear coat afterwards.
4a239967af8007ec7b495daced43a418.jpg
09dc2583664729815c59a4a861e49360.jpg

Permatex makes some, good stuff

I had a Stihl standard sprocket nose bar that really looked like hell and was selling the saw. I've seen a couple of guys who used disc sanders to create the effect (forget what it was called) anyway I went out and bought a cheap disc kit at harbor freight and gave it a try and if I took more time it would of looked a lot better, but for my first time I was satisfied and the new owner loved it. I just sprayed it with clear coat afterwards.
That is a pretty awesome design!

You know what, I actually saw it on a car show and they did that design to a metal dashboard panel
4a239967af8007ec7b495daced43a418.jpg
09dc2583664729815c59a4a861e49360.jpg

Back