Removing Stihl Limiter Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarge14

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass this on. The limiter cap on the High set screw of my MS460 has kept me from 4 stroking the saw during adjustment. Also, the saw had a dead spot when going from idle to full throttle and the Low set screw wouldn't take it out. After several adjustments the dead spot still showed up. I checked the impulse/fuel line and the carb for leaks, with everything checking out AOK.

Last week, I talked to a friend of mine who is a mechanic at our local Stihl dealership and he told me that he has had this type of problem before and the best thing to do is take out the limiter caps so the saw could be adjusted right. He said the best way he found to remove the caps is to remove the carb and take a coarse drywall screw and screw it down into the red limter cap (Either Low or High). He then told me to take a pair of pliers and pull the screw out and the cap would follow. He said to repeat this for the other cap.

Well tonight I tried it and it worked perfect. A small part of the plastic was left inside, but after removing the set screws and with the help of a small screwdriver, I got the rest of the caps out.

I readjusted the carb and it works like a brand new one. I searched the threads for this type of removal but couldn't find anything. Hope this helps someone with a problem like mine.

Are the screws known to walk out on this or other Stihl models?

The older models had a spring behind the screw to keep 'em steady. You may not ever have a problem with yours coming out but the caps are only a quarter or two each. Cut off the big tab so you can adjust the screws without having to pull the caps back out.

I use a small crochet hook,, and just pull them out,, cut off the tabs with an exacto knife and push them back in.. no problem at all.. that's the way I do it and works like a charm

I'm not real familiar with the Stihl limiter caps. Does anyone have a pic so I can get a better understanding of this?

I just cut the tabs off with a razor knife. Why pull them ?

Before:
CARB.jpg

Last edited:
I just cut the tabs off with a razor knife. Why pull them ?

Before:
CARB.jpg

The newer Stihl carbs have different caps then you have pictured. They are recessed into collars and have to be turned fully clock wise to line up the tab with the channel cut into the collars before they can be pulled.

My bad. Sorry. I guess the EPA caught on and made it tougher. SOBs.
How long before they mandate fixed jetting and nothing will run right ?
Fuel injected, computerized, catalytic convertered hand tools ? Those sound affordable and light weight. :dizzy:

Last edited:
My bad. Sorry. I guess the EPA caught on and made it tougher. SOBs.
How long before they mandate fixed jetting and nothing will run right ?
Fuel injected, computerized, catalytic convertered hand tools ? Those sound affordable and light weight. :dizzy:

I know this is old but just what i was looking for.

If they do that idk what will do.
Fixed jet carbs.. i have to work with those hunks of crap all day on these craftsman lawnmowers.

I know this is old but just what i was looking for.

If they do that idk what will do.
Fixed jet carbs.. i have to work with those hunks of crap all day on these craftsman lawnmowers.

I have a question.
If the limiter caps really cause the adjustments to not "walk around" does it really matter. I think if your going to use a saw you should need to be able to tune it almost as often as you adjust the chain. the fuel and conditions vary enough to support my thinking right?. I don't think setting mixture and Idle speeds is a "set and forget" thing. Kind of like chain sharpening I guess, something you need to learn how to do right eventually.

Pictures! From my Stihl 029 I removed.

Thought I'd tag these pics to this thread to help a little I didn't remove my carb either and just used a screw I had in arms reach

Before I started
100_0327.jpg

After I took out the rubber grommet which comes right out
100_0326.jpg

Here I just put a drywall screw in it a couple turns which grabbed the cap enough to turn it and line up the groove so I could pull the cap out
100_0323.jpg

Here I pulled it about halfway out with a little effort (sawdust kinda hung it up a bit)
100_0324.jpg

Same with the other side
100_0325.jpg

And the final product, the little metal insert that held the caps in place came out with the second cap so I just tapped it back in as a screwdriver guide more than anything.
100_0325.jpg

Hope this helps someone out :chainsaw:

Where can one get replacement caps?
The previous owner "trimmed" mine I think and now they seem to "walk".

The saw was running fine with the low set about 3/8 out (versus the start point of 1/4), but when I went to start it today after about 1/3 hour of sawing two days ago, it was over a full turn out and flooded. I know I should have checked it first.

The local stihl shop doesn't sell the caps (or tool) separately.

Where can one get replacement caps?
The previous owner "trimmed" mine I think and now they seem to "walk".

The saw was running fine with the low set about 3/8 out (versus the start point of 1/4), but when I went to start it today after about 1/3 hour of sawing two days ago, it was over a full turn out and flooded. I know I should have checked it first.

The local stihl shop doesn't sell the caps (or tool) separately.

Iv bought them, if you dealer cant order parts get a new dealer.
you need the part #? what saw

Iv bought them, if you dealer cant order parts get a new dealer.
you need the part #? what saw
Thanks, yes I could use the part # for the 660. I was hoping to find someplace that sold them online, because I hate going to useless dealers.
The one closest to me (about 5 minutes by car) is normally pretty good. I'd go to Thall10326, but he's about 90 to 120 minutes away, a long drive for a pair of caps.

But then I do want a 40" bar, and Bailey's no longer offers free shipping.

HMMM??

Back