Removing the Stakes, now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhicks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve got an autumn purple ash tree that was (trans-)planted nearly three years ago, as a 1” caliper container tree, in an area with frequent moderate to high winds. It was planted in August, and due to the high winds it was staked.

Come winter, and only half a season of growth I decided that I wouldn’t remove the stakes until at least mid season summer (last year’s season), however the tree really struggled to grow much by the way of crown or trunk, and I ultimately didn’t remove the stakes until October, a week after which we had a record cold snap, and the leaves when from green to brown and dropped almost immediately.

Though I worried the cold had killed it, all was fine when it leaf’d out this spring. Now however the crown has expanded branches by 20” and still going 4 weeks into the season, but the trunk is still a piddling 1.25-1.5” twig.

With the massive crown and tiny trunk, the wind is blowing the thing around pretty wildly. It’s got a foot or more of movement at the base of the crown with 20-30mph winds. We really haven’t had any really intense winds (50 mph+) to speak of. I’m concerned that it’s going the snap when a real wind comes along.

What can I(or should I) do to both encourage trunk girth and protecting this tree as it finds itself in this world? Thoughts?

The crown seems to almost doubled in size in one season. If last year’s crown were still on the tree I don’t think the wind would have excessive leverage.

So, you think I should re-stake it, just more loosely?

Being a cultivar of white ash read up on EAB. Three years planted your tree is rooted and needs to blow in the wind, stop worrying about it. Staking is done to help prevent new transplants from tipping out (blowing over) from the ground. Not supporting stems from failure.

So, I think I need to revise my time line. I think it’s been planted and staked for two and a half years, so probably way too long. It was what I thought as loosely staked, and still could move a good few inches. But clearly it’s been over staked.
Here are some images:0E7A26AA-E2DA-4D8F-A93B-D45B759F4BB5.jpeg8FD3F514-EC6C-446B-8D2B-26CDC8997137.jpegA7093855-4C61-42E0-8C7C-C6E425E8F73F.jpegCEAAB151-D24A-4735-8D04-C067AFD0B94B.jpeg
First image is a full tree shot. Current winds are ~10-12mph. When it’s not blowing it does stand upright. Before I posted last night I taped a flexible metal stake to the side of the tree with flexible electrical tape. I sort of redistributes the load, and I think this helps a little, but it’s probably not the best approach.

Second image is a close up of the lower trunk. After looking at it, to me it seems that the trunk is narrower in the bottom half than the top half, and so most of the bend is happening fairly close to the ground. There is a scar from something earlier in life on the dominant windward side you can see in this image.

Third image shows last year’s growth(and the prior year’s too). Total growth for the two full seasons it’s been planted the tree only grew about 14”.

Fourth image shows the same branch zoomed out to show the new growth. Easily 20”, and clearly still going.

As the crown has expanded, the tree has gotten more and more floppy. How do I ween this tree from the stakes that are no longer there?

As for EAB, I think that was the reason they grafted this tree to a different root stock. Also, EAB has yet to be positively identified in Utah. Ash trees are fairly uncommon here, so hopefully it won’t propagate even if it arrives.

Nice tree, I find it somewhat amusing that you plant a fast growing tree in a high wind area and then your concerned the wind blowing the tree.
Anyway the issue is the tree up rooting more than it's listing leeward or failing. I would install one heavy duty stake 4ft windward side. Wire and hose the tree vertical, with minimal crown reduction pruning. Observe ground movement of stump for clue to dismantle support.

Yeah... it was a gift. Everyone likes a fast growing tree right ;) !? Still, it has sentimental value, so I’d like to keep it alive if I can. I had a sister tree to this one gifted at the same time, but it literally got chewed in half by my two large dogs.

OK, so if the stump seems well seated and isn’t moving then I shouldn’t worry about the wild bending?

The crown seems to almost doubled in size in one season. If last year’s crown were still on the tree I don’t think the wind would have excessive leverage.

So, you think I should re-stake it, just more loosely?
When you drive the stakes in, do it by standing atop a 5 gallon bucket. That makes all the difference. :laugh: ;)

Two problems, obviously a nursery bought tree. All the lower limbs were removed,(probably by the nursery) . Lower branch attachment encourages truck girth of which you have none. Second, the way it was staked. If it was mine, I would remove it and plant a better specimen.
Jeff

Back